Kids' Rope-Up 2004

Bug

Final call.

We have HillWeasle, Billygoat, Snowbyrd, Fatswaler and Bug committed to going.

If no one else commits today, I will cancel the group site and we will have Fatswaller reserve three individual sites tomorrow. This will make it harder to include droppers in.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys know more will show up. What about Parker? Save the group site...

OK. I'll save the group site as it seems momentum is building. We have it reserved for Sept 17-sept 19. Chatter Creek Group site. Up Icicle canyon a long ways. There will be the Chatter Creek ranger station on the right. The turn off to the campground is the first right past the ranger station. My 2 daughters (6 & 8) will be there late Friday night after watching clowns do unnatural acts with elephants.

I'm working on one form Oregon as well...he's got 2 boys near the same age as mine.

Hey, on another thought, I'm feeling REALLY guilty leaving my 2 year old behind....BUT I think it will probably be more fun for all of us if I do so. He's a good kid and I have the Kelty Kid Pack...plus he can make his way up anything...probably a natural climber (aren't all 2 year olds?) but he's 2. What can I say?

I need validation here....so please, you parents of once 2 yerar olds, tell me the positives of leaving him behind and make me feel better about that decision. Please? wink.gif

FWIW you should NOT view this as a climbing trip for you...you will not be climbing much if at all...

I bring my two year old along when i bring his older brother...fair is fair...

So noted...BUT....bringing the 2 year old could take away from the 10 year old's experience since I will be preoccupied with trying to keep the 2 year old in line. I guess I feel that each child should get alone time with each parent equally, and since 2 year old monopolize the attention of the parent, the older child often feels cheated. I would like to be a part of the 10 year olds climbing experiance....the 2 year old will get his chance. Do you disagree? Do you do everything together or do you give your children separate Dad n me time? I feel that it is important to spend quality time with each child separately, as well as together. Mempries are created and I'd like my 10 year old to have times that he remembers when its ust US on an adventure....same thing goes with the 2 year old. Perhaps we just have different approaches to parenting. I'd like to hear what Hilweasel, Bug and Billygoat have to say in this matter.

Thanks for the response though....I respect your opinion. wave.gif

My son is an only child so he is a spoiled brat (not really) but I cannot fairly answer your question from that angle. However, I would not bring your two year old if you can help it. This won't be totally like going to a hotel or bouldering. We may hike aways from the cars and you might want to stay up and hang out with us after the kids go to sleep but the two year old should be out of ear shot or we'll keep him/her up...

Your reasoning on the one on one time is sound. My daughters are 6 & 8 and I make it a point to give them one on one time. It makes them glow. They tell their teachers about it. So forth. When your 2 year old is 10, your 10 year old will be out with his friends. Make sure he has the tools and training to make good decisions. The sooner the better and never let up. He will not get that by playing two year old games. Just my two cents.

Worth alot more than $0.02 if ya ask me! Thanks, guys....this is going to be an awesome trip.

Next question...what do I need ot bring for my 10 year old? He has zero climbing gear but we can and will remedy that. Do I need a rope etc as well? What kind of climbing will THEY be doing? He's been ot the REI wall a couple of times...and I'll make sure to get him out to at least Marymoor before then...but he's inexperienced.

Heh heh...this is really sad...I don't know how to lead! Soooo..that'd be a good thing wink.gif I was also thinking about going out ot Exit 38 - Farside (Gritscone) and placing some top ropes for him to climb. I can just walk to the top etc. I'll PM you with my number. Maybe next weekend?