Toyota truck question

dbb

I'm looking at a 1995 Tacoma 2.7L 4cyl LX that has 76K for $9800 (asking). Single owner, well maint with records. Does that sound like too much for that old of a year? The miles are pretty low the age at least.

I've heard that the 95's have one less leaf spring in the rear suspension, and that they can crack. Aparently toyota added an extra one in the 96 on up. Anyone know of any other issues surrounding this age of truck (head gaskets, etc) ?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's sweet mileage.

If it has a plastic bedliner might be worth taking a peak underneath it.

I had not heard about the leaf problem, but I do know someone else who had a cracked leaf on similar-aged Tacoma. You can always get an add-a-leaf kit for about $75. Stiffens up the ride in the back, esp. if you have a canopy and carry stuff.

The timing chain guides can break. I'd have that checked out. The guides break at usually around >100K. I've heard that the newer models have had this addressed. Also the water pump on those older trucks usually give out, but that's a really easy fix. I have a 94 4X4 with 146K on it, and I've had to replace the following:

Radiator (this was due to an accident, so I don't think this counts. )

Water pump

Clutch

Timing chain guide.

Spark plug wires chewed by snaffle.

That's pretty much it.

Hope this helps

I have a 95 with that engine, mines a 4x4 tacoma w/ extra cab. ive got about 160 k on it and bought it 4 years ago with 64k on it for 13500. its a great truck, 95 is the year they redid the engines and came out with all the other models of trucks i believe. no problems with my leaf springs and have had it pretty loaded a couple times. no trouble so far w/ timing chain. my starter and air conditioning condenser went out, i think thats the only problems. i think i could get 250k out of it based on how well it still runs, uses no oil, same mileage as 100k ago.

-scott

I made sure that the Toyota I bought was made in Japan...

One of the other things you might want to take a quick look at on a truck of that vintage - same year as mine but mine's the V6 are the boots on the axles up front and the integrity of the ball joints.

I think there's an outfit that will look up the vehicles history and have a mechanic come out and do a full eval for $100.

Way too much money. I bought a 1997 4 cyl with an extra cab in 2000 with 27,000 mi and paid 10,500. I don't know what the 1995 is worth, but you should check the bluebook at your bank or credit union (talk to a loan agent and they can book it out). I be it is around $6,000 if it is in really good shape). I have had excellent luck with my truck and have put over 100,000 miles on it with no problems.

Thanks for all the input so far! How can you tell where the truck was assembled/made? Is there some way to tell from the VIN?

Also, this truck originated in Hawaii. I know that's a rather salty climate, but should this be a cause for concern? Are the toyotas known to rust much?

Absolute hearsay, but:

Heads up. I have a buddy that just moved here from Hawaii and has found out that most dealerships won't take in a car in trade if it came from the islands. Not just rust (doesn't matter brand, they all rust there), but the roaches breed in them and are very difficult to get rid of.

I think that I called on that same truck last week, and my friend said to run away if it was from there.

Just an FYI,

I'm native born Hawaiian and have brought over several cars from there to the mainland and NEVER, NEVER had any issues with either roaches(what a crock) or rust. Cars do not rust in Hawaii, may be a salty ocean but you have the same ocean right outside your door. Regular washing and maintenance prevents autos from rusting. The major cause of auto rust is road salt and grime that is on the under carriage and not washed off routinely.

As for dealerships not wanting autos from Hawaii another load of bunk, most Island cars have far less milage than any car found mainland(3 hours around the whole Island).

Any other interesting concerns about Hawaii, like where to ski(yes we ski in the winter too) just ask.

Aloha....

Toyotas are solid. All you need to do is take it to your local knuckle scraping mechanic if you think you really want to buy, pay them bout 50 bucks to check it all out and write something up to negotiate with the seller. I checked the blue book and if it is in top shape it is about like I thought, around $6,000. DO NOT PAY $9500. you can a newer rig with way less for that, as per my other post. If you do have $9500 to pay, you may want to consider buying a certified used truck from a toyota dealer. The certified used rigs often come with a very good waranty.

I agree with Shapp re. the price.

My 4x4 V6 1994 Toy ext cab that I bought new has 255K, having replaced timing belt 2x (proactive), water pump, transmission, clutch. I do the normal maintenance very regularly including oil, rad fluid, diff, trans, etc. All the body parts replaced due to elk, bad drivers, etc. over $10k worth over the last 10 years.

I believe it was in early 1996 I got the recall notice on the V6 head gasket seal. Before the seal was replaced, I hardly lost any oil, but after the change, I've regularly lost about a quart of oil about every 1500 miles ever since then...interesting, cause no stains on the garage floor, and the engine stays pretty clean. However, valves, engine still running very efficiently.

After owning/driving, Ford, GMC/Chevy, and Dodge trucks, I sure will be buying another Toyota rice-burner. thumbs_up.gif

Way too much money for the rig. Go to Nada.com and look for a basic market price and go from there. Personally I would not own a toyoat as they are underpowered in all the models, and they are cramped inside. 95 was the 1st year the redesigned it so there will be more issues then a later model. i prefer american trucks as they come at a better price for more upgrades.

Wow, I didn't think that they'd ruin the Tacoma like the ruined the new 4skinrunners:

05toyotatacoma.jpg

"be longer, wider and taller than its predecessor, with more passenger space and greater cargo and towing capacity."

with a 4L V6 double cab it should get about 3 miles to the gallon!! rockband.gif

Thanks for all the advice guys! ('cept you loren wink.gif)

Be wary of any 4cyl in a truck. Higher compression more likely to blow head gasket, more carbon buildup piston slap, WAY underpowered. No, it won't happen for a while, but if you want the truck for a long time . . . Bottom line is the engine has to work that much harder than a 6cyl. I know that toyota has upped the displacement since the 22re over the years, but I still wouldn't buy one thumbs_down.gif

I have to say that jordop is smoking crack. Toyota, datsun, nissan have made small 4 cyl trucks for decades. In general they have a fine reputation. If you need power and need to haul heavy shit you aint even going to buy a 6 cyl tacoma. The only thing you can do with a 6cyl tacoma that you can't or shouldn't do much with a 4cyl is two a boat or tent trailer. I have had mine and put way over 100,000 with no problems. I have had the bed filled up with rafting gear and 4 people in the cab climbing up out of some remote river canyons up some steep grades for several miles with no problems. It aint a race car but moves along a lot faster than a geometro or my old VW bus.