[TR] Mt Adams- SW Chutes 7/10/2004

JoeMack

Climb: Mt Adams-SW Chutes

Date of Climb: 7/10/2004

Trip Report:

Skied from the summit. That was very rough: the snow did not soften up due to the cold wind and intermittent clouds. I even had waited until 2:00 to shove off. Survival skiing at its worst.

3997Mt_Adams_Summit-med.jpg

The chutes made up for it. They were quite soft. There were many runnels/ridges that added a bit of spice and kept me focused. I had the chutes to myself and exited via the RTM trail. Lots of wildflowers were out and it was a pleasant hike.

3997Mt_Adams_SW_Chutes-med.jpg

Gear Notes:

Skis, whippet, running shoes

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! I skied the standard route on Sunday and I have to agree that the snow right off the summit down to the false summit was the worst. It was just complete crap. Huge freaking sun cups! The glissaders were getting down at least twice as fast as me!! Fine snow was skied from about 10,500 feet down though. thumbs_up.gif

Snow line was at 6700 feet on the south side for those interested. I scoped a path on the way up that allowed us to ski an additional ~500 feet with a short 20 foot carry over a rock band. Stay far left after dropping into steep bowl (cresent glacier?) near the bottom.

I wore my mountaineering boots and packed my board boots on sunday and wished i was wearing sneakers. there were a few times when i slipped out and almost bit it, but in all 'steeper' areas the boot track is fine.

(note: temps rose significantly from sat night and the sun was out from the get go.)

don't come down too early on sunday. i dropped in at 2pm and (with a board) could have waited another hour...if my ride wasn't waiting.

enjoy!

I wore sneakers until I hit steeper snow. I use randonee boots and like to keep my feet dry and have a firmer step on the steeper areas. I suppose that you could use sneakers all the way up. The sneakers were very beneficial for the hike out on the RTM trail.

I also used ski poles and I have a whippet (an ice axe like pick that can be added to one of the poles). I would say that I didn't really need it, but it helped me feel safer, especially for the higher elevations where the snow never did soften up.

I wore sneakers all the way up on Sunday. Without a well established boot pack, I would have needed beefier boots and/or crampons, but with bomber steps it wasn't an issue. I climbed with ski poles and one whippet, which wasn't strictly necessary, but was added insurance. Dry socks were nice to change into at the summit. Carried an axe, but never used it.

I wore my rando boots from car to car. I packed an ice axe but never used it. I had a whippet too though which I liked having.

I talked to a guy about 50 feet below the summit on Sunday afternoon who had climbed up to the summit in sneakers, I wonder if it was ski photomatt as the guy I talked to had a whippet too. Was that you? You and another guy, the other guy on tele? I was stopped just at the top of the last steep portion below the summit waiting for my friends. I had skis on my pack.

Yup, that was probably us. Nice to meet you Dustin wave.gif We were doing things a little backwards on Sunday. We wore sneakers to the summit (or my partner to the false summit), then hiked out the couple miles on the RMT and South climb trail to the car in tele boots with shoes strapped to our packs cantfocus.gif

Skied the SW Chutes on Friday July 16th, and would have to advise to anyone else interested in doing it this year that the route is pretty much out of shape for enjoyable skiing. The sun cups were getting to the point where the run was like a mogul run, with the extra pleasure of lots of dirt to give your skis a nice base grind. It's a beautiful line, and JoeMack gave some great beta, but overall the skiing was toil. Running shoes a definate plus for the hike out- thanks JoeMack!