gyms near arcata, ca?

addie

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is bouldering at Moonstone Beach, a smattering of roped climbing and bouldering at Patrick's Point (both about 15 min north of town). No gym that I know about. Castle Crags isn't too far away, and there is bound to be some stuff in the Trinity Alps. As for sport climbing and gym climbing, I think you are pretty much SOL.

When my friend was in school at Humboldt St. I made some trips down from PDX and from memory is was about a 6hr drive. Smith might still be your best option for sport routes.

Lambone is in Ashland, you might PM him for the outdoor scoop.

Arcata is cool if you don't mind the dreadie hippie/ tour-rat element, and the town is rampant with the KGB. The redwoods are thumbs_up.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Buy a good mt bike.

The Trinities are way cool, sort of like a mini High Sierrra, and so is Castle Crags...

Shasta is fun if you wanna get your mountain on.

I've done some beach bouldering in Brookings, Or. Pretty fun, reminds me how weak I am, maybe it's just the salt air, but I feel heavier there.

But my recomendation is to get into mountain biking. If you come to Ashland I can show you some good trails. And would be open to meet at Castle Crags.

A guy working at the Arcata mountain shop (Adventures Edge?) told me about a limestone crag on 299 between Arcata and Weaverville. Mostly steep and hard was the description.

The university had a climbing wall of sorts the last time I was through there, and this year they are planning on beginning an upgrade of the building (and wall.)

• 11 months later...

ah Humboldt, the memories...

three years ago when I was there:

was a hallway with holds maybe 200' feet long and 9' tall in the HSU fieldhouse. Might still be there. If you're in that neck of the woods bring your frisbee golf discs cuz that's one of the USA's greatest courses!