cle elum rock

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about the stone. One route I did was really long.

It would be cool if someone would ferret out a cle elum area (rainshadow) crag that was quality because it never rains there an it is only 65 minutes from a lot of puget sound folk (vs. 2+ hours to 11 worth). It would be a heavily used resource for sure and would have 100 more climbing days a year than n. bend or index.

I live really close to the Issaquah i-90 on ramp and the speed limit is 70 but I do 78ish. It's 65 minutes to downtown cle elum from my place. I guess I neglected to remember that the crag is out of town a ways. My bad.

It would still be nice if something was off I-90 just east of the crest for the rainshadow effect when rained out on a north bend trip.

I seems to rain more at index.

• 2 weeks later...

I take it you guys are referring to the obvious sandstone formations visible to the South from downtown Cle Elum. They look like the ubiquitous Swak Sandstone found in such places as Peshastin Pinnacles. Without ever having gone there, it looks as though you'd have to put up linse of bolts to do much of anything.

There are a few sandstone formations up the road above the township of Liberty. These are poorly bolted sandstone climbs which have repeatedly had bolt hangers stolen over many many years of half-assed exploration. The area's pretty bad when you consider that Leavenworth is so close.

Jason