Hikers vs ORVs

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Super. These ideas from this administration keep gettin better and better rolleyes.gif ORVs screw up any trail they get onto, the whole thing about writing tickets for ecosystem damage or whatever is screwy, you can't help it if you're riding one of those things, and if you could, who would really get caught and how the hell would they decide the definition of "acceptable" damage. I do a lot of Mtn. Biking, and even those can cause a lot of damage if you want to, but any trail that dirtbikes get onto get turned into rutted, soupy slop pits almost instantly. Personally, I don't want to have to listen to ORVs in the distance whenever I want to go into a National Forest, either.

Damn, I kinda threw a tantrum back there, sorry...

Anybody who cares about the quiet enjoyment of the national forests and wilderness, effects on wildlife, habitat, being able to climb, ski, hike etc without somebody riding up on your ass in an ORV should send their comments on these rules. I think that pretty much covers all of us. The forest service will listen if you express in a reasonable and thoughtful manner why these draft rules are lame, which they are since they lack any teeth and everyone knows that any enforcement would be a joke without the resources to pay for it. Here's a link to a copy of the draft rules: (I know we all have tons of time to read them, but just in case anyone's truly motivated)

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/index.shtml

I didn't really see anything in the story to get too worked up about. If I understand correctly, hikers are the ones pushing to remove ORV users from areas they currently enjoy, such as Dark Divide. Nowhere did I read the Bush Administration is pushing to open up more areas to ORV use.

So I must conclude.....

Just more environmental community hysteria.