Climbers stuck on Glacier

joekania

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_072902WABglacierpeak.3b772eed.html

or,

DARRINGTON, Wash. – Three climbers are trapped by a storm and whiteout near the summit of Glacier Peak, one of Washington’s five volcanoes in the Cascades.

They have not suffered any injuries, but the three climbers – two women and one man in their mid-twenties – have not been able to descend since Sunday morning.

They are stuck at the 10,200-foot-level of the 10,539-foot mountain and managed to summon help with a cell phone.

Rescue teams are using helicopters and horses to bring them to safety. A Chinook helicopter from Fort Lewis dropped off supplies to them.

They are expected to be rescued late Monday evening and hike out Tuesday morning.

“Things can turn bad very quickly. If it gets cold, they could develop hypothermia. So it’s very important that we bring them out safely and I'm certain we'll do that,” said Jan Jorgensen, Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by joekania:

Three climbers are trapped by a storm and whiteout...(clip)...Rescue teams are using helicopters...(clip)

how does that work? [Confused]

hope it all works out for the better. thanks for posting the information.

I have no clue what happened and am not trying to pass judement, but the news made it sound like they kinda just got scared and whipped out the phone. No injuries and the weather is clear on the day of the "resuce".

Cell phones....... gott'a love em' and and gotta' hate em'.

Perhaps the details will come out later.

Sounds like they were pretty green,

but I hope they are going to be OK.

Uh oh.

Lambone was just last week asking me about bivi possibilities on Glacier Peak. He was taking a party up Frostbite Ridge this weekend with the intention of descending the Sitkum, which I encouraged him to consider. I recommended a summit crater bivi. (It does have lots of flat pumice and a meltwater pond).

Lambone last posted 7/25. Could it be him and friends? [Wazzup]

Were you guys called into the broken top area the other day to check out some stuff? Some folks were wondering if it was the subject of the search last year in the broken top area. Would be nice to get some closure on that one.

Rescue under way on Glacier Peak

07/30/2002

KING5.com

SEATTLE - Three climbers, stuck more than 10,000 feet on Glacier Peak, in northern Washington, are hoping to come home Tuesday.

A rescue effort is under way to bring down the group, which has been stuck a few hundred feet from the summit since Sunday morning when the weather turned treacherous.

The group consists of one man and two women, all of them in their 20's and experienced climbers. None of them were injured.

It seems the weather turned when they were just a few hundred feet from the summit of one of the five volcanoes in the Cascades.

They are stuck at the 10,200-foot-level of the 10,539-foot mountain and managed to summon help with a cell phone.

The climbers are stuck at the 10,200-foot-level of the 10,539-foot mountain.

Rescue teams are using helicopters and horses to bring them to safety. A Chinook helicopter from Fort Lewis dropped off supplies to them.

“Things can turn bad very quickly. If it gets cold, they could develop hypothermia. So it’s very important that we bring them out safely and I'm certain we'll do that,” said Jan Jorgensen, Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office.

The rescue started off as a two-pronged operation, with one group on the ground, on foot and horseback, and another in a helicopter from Fort Lewis, leaving at mid morning.

The chopper would be able to drop supplies or even lift the climbers if weather permits.

The plan was for the group on foot to meet up with hikers, share supplies and spend the night with them, and then for all of them to hike out later Tuesday.

Winds will be the primary problem at those elevations, especially above the 8,000-foot level, said KING 5 meterologist Rich Marriott.

A few of us were up there on sun-wed last week camped at green lakes looking all over for him. We had walked within about 50 yards of where some hikers found him on thursday.

Looks like he might have been going up the SW ridge (SW summit is often thought to be true summit by folks from out of town), although we'll never know what really happened.

The body was found near the base of the scree slopes above green lakes, so truly he could have been anywhere higher up on the mountain and could have been brought down in an avalanche.

The identity hasn't been confirmed yet, but folks are pretty certain it was Danny.

It is great to get some closure though.

Tim

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

Were you guys called into the broken top area the other day to check out some stuff? Some folks were wondering if it was the subject of the search last year in the broken top area. Would be nice to get some closure on that one.

i called lamebone last night and left a message......not a good thing i think.....damn....i think i am going to hide in may cave this weekend.....

two friends two incidents...

[Frown]

godspeed to all.........

[ 07-30-2002, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: erik ]

quote:

Originally posted by vegetablebelay:

Now I've got 4
reasons why I like some anonymity here
[Wazzup]

hmmm... i'm guessing that you didn't just pull the number 43 from a hat, which means you can count. and you did correctly spell anonymity... and we all know there aren't too many cougs that can count AND spell so perhaps you aren't as anonymous as you think [laf][Wazzup] back at'cha

quote:

Originally posted by James:

quote:

Originally posted by vegetablebelay:

Now I've got 4
reasons why I like some anonymity here
[Wazzup]

hmmm... i'm guessing that you didn't just pull the number 43 from a hat, which means you can count. and you did correctly spell anonymity... and we all know there aren't too many cougs that can count AND spell so perhaps you aren't as anonymous as you think
[laf][Wazzup]
back at'cha

Ouch! [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by Attitude:

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

My name is Jose Jimenez.

Let's see how we all feel about this accidents in one seperate area now.

Well Pvt.Caveboy, you're the first person to start bashing others, so you're the problem.

Watchoo gonna do about it? [big Drink] And who's bashing not me [Confused]

[ 07-30-2002, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]