Climbers stuck on Glacier

joekania

I'm coming in here late, Lambone. I want to say, though, that I think your efforts and trials justify your actions. Thank you for sharing them. No one that has not been wet, cold and hungry high on a mountain in the intensity of a storm should pass judgement.

I think that we will all be wiser in the mountains from the discussions that your experience elisited.

I agree with iain's attitudes so I won't reitterate them here. 'Glad your safe. [big Drink]

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Term.

I kept thinking about that solo experience you had on Rainier while we were up there. I wish we could have been that tough, but it just wasn't the case. Plus I was jealous of that GPS you had. I've never used one, but it sounds like it helped you out.

While up there we killed time by trying to invent the next million dollar outdoor product (inspired by the cliff bar story that we read many times to eachother). I came up with a "Crevase Finder." Sorta like a fish finder, but for big dark cold holes instead.

If there are any techno wizes out there who'd like to help me make it I'll split the profits 70/30 with ya. [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:

While up there we killed time by trying to invent the next million dollar outdoor product (inspired by the cliff bar story that we read many times to eachother). I came up with a "Crevase Finder." Sorta like a fish finder, but for big dark cold holes instead.

If there are any techno wizes out there who'd like to help me make it I'll split the profits 70/30 with ya.
[big Grin]

From the makers of the Avy Poodle come the next innovation in Alpine Travel, the Crevy Poodle .

Just let loose this little wonder when descending a glacier in a white-out and simply follow the footprints. When the footprints disappear in a deep dark hole, you've found your crevasse!

It couldn't be simpler.

This is RURP:

Rodchester say:

"I bet his mom would call you an idiot and tell you to fuck off in advance...oh yeah and my dad's bigger than your dad."

Yah, but Walter Bonatti and Dougal Haston went to my wedding.

Lambone say:

"I'll quote the great Alex. "The best climber is the one having the most fun."

That's a very silly cliche. It is an untrue bunch of feel-good nonsense. Think about it seriously with your feet attached to the ground.

"He never passed any judgement on those whom he carried off the mountain on his back...even went to visit them in the hospital."

You can now visit "the great Alex" in a cemetery...so can his wife and kids.

"If you think I do care about what others think of me or my climbing, would I have shared all this information with you all?"

It is very obvious that you do care. Why shouldn't you? It is human nature. In this case, the results are not bad. People are thinking about all kinds of safety things as a result of your antics and you are getting more "high-fives" than condemnations. And why shouldn't you care if someone as incredibly experienced like John Roskelly has an opinion...if he speaks, I listen...process...consider...and learn or dispose.

RURP has spoken.

This is RURP:

"In my opinion, what makes a great climber is not measured by success, but how they handle failure."

Yet another cliche. Look how Mr. Alex Lowe is presently handling failure. Mr. Lambone: quit buying into these stupid perspectives and live your own life. I am sure that you have a lot of good things to share as you have already demonstrated. Let's have a drink to Mr. Alex Lowe [big Drink] Ya, he was a good climber. Now let us move on and forget the half-cooked quotable statements, and start climbing.

RURP has spoken.

Thank you SK, exactly. Sayjay, i actually appreciated your post about female climbers. Thanks for the brew [smile]

And apparently my "Harem" comment wasn't looked upon as humor as intended... my sincere appologies [Roll Eyes]

RURP - you remind me of a grouchy (climer) grandpa like figure, i rather like the mystique and think of you fondly typing away... with a large grin on your face. I would now like to point out the fact that you didn't really disagree with anything i said, you seemed to enjoy clarifying it. Nice job with that. And at what point did i say i was a feminist??? I just don't like when people label *all* things one way when clearly there are going to be exceptions to the rule. But, i have to say the "RURP HAS SPOKEN" thing has gotta go, who do you think you are? Jesus, God... greater?? While i appreciate what Rurps can do, i hardly hold them in such esteem.

-Lhotse has ceased speaking.. for the time being-

quote:

Originally posted by lizard brain:

Hey Lambone-

I'm real curious...how many hours was it between the first phone call and the time you saw the Men in Blue at the door of your I-tent?

We first called late Sunday night to see if they could get a message to our folks. They asked us to call back the next day. Sometime monday we told them we needed some help. That afternoon a team was dropped off by chopper at Boulder Basin. They bivied that night at the summit. We had no idea they were there, 911 failed to relay that information. They stumbled across us packing up to get the hell outa there at about 8:30 Tuesday morning. If we had known they were there we would have went to meet them earlier, or the night before.

RURP,

I'm not sure why I chose to go back and forth with the likes of you, but what the hell...

Alex Lowe was someone I met on several ocasions in his hometown of Bozeman, we were never buddy buddy or anything, but he was one of the most positive, encouraging, and welcoming burly Montana climbers I ever met. Say what you will about him, but your words don't mean much to me.

As for my experiences in the mountains, a succesful trip is something that passes and the high lasts for a while, but after some time there are only boxes of slides and jumbled memories of cool pitches, good friends and views. For me it's the unsuccesfull climbs that remain in my head much longer. Maybe its cause I end up reflecting on it and trying to get over the dissapointment, whatever it is...it makes an impression.

Call that cliche if you like, I just call it my opinion. Have a good one.

Lambone glad you are ok. We were on Danials and the weather got us too, and after reading the posts from last weekend ,we were not the only ones. They said it was going to be nice and it sucked. We deal with it. Life goes on, and yours will because you did the right thing. now some spray, did you ever get them both in the bag with you.

Hey Hambone, can we assume that you have retrieved your handle? Those admin guys can do wonders with passwords and such.

Answer me this: How's life at the gym treating you these days? Where was the last Pub Club that you attended? That oughtta be enough to square us away with who's using this handle at the moment!

Alli

[ 08-01-2002, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: allison ]

This is RURP:

Lhotsedreemer say:

"But, i have to say the "RURP HAS SPOKEN" thing has gotta go, who do you think you are? Jesus, God... greater??"

No, it does not have to go, and leave G_d and Jesus out of it; no one is worthy of such a comparison. "RURP has spoken" means just that: RURP has spoken.

Mr. Lambone say:

"RURP, I'm not sure why I chose to go back and forth with the likes of you...

You do, because you are being a good sport!

"Alex Lowe ...was one of the most positive, encouraging, and welcoming burly Montana climbers I ever met."

Yes he was a good guy. I was only commenting that many of these oft-repeated cliche's are treated as laws of the universe. "The best climber is the one having the most fun...." That is simply not true. Mr. Alex Lowe was an outstanding climber, but if you do not return home alive, you lost at the game.

How's that for yet another cliche?

"As for my experiences in the mountains...I end up reflecting on it and trying to get over the disappointment, whatever it is...it makes an impression."

Here is some RURP-style therapy: I think you now should have a return date with Glacier Peak. Go with some other people, good climbing buddies, and better gear if necessary and finish that trip as you originally intended. You will feel much better afterwards. Take more photos of the good times and let the disappointment memories find their rightful place in some obscure portion of your mind that is rarely accessed.

RURP has spoken.

quote:

That afternoon a team was dropped off by chopper at Boulder Basin. They bivied that night at the summit. We had no idea they were there, 911 failed to relay that information. They stumbled across us packing up to get the hell outa there at about 8:30 Tuesday morning. If we had known they were there we would have went to meet them earlier, or the night before.

I dont know what's so damn hard about WALK THE FUCK OFF THE MOUNTAIN when someone is capable of walking up to the summit and bivying next to you [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by 666:

I dont know what's so damn hard about WALK THE FUCK OFF THE MOUNTAIN when someone is capable of walking up to the summit and bivying next to you
[Roll Eyes]
[/QB]

Your absolutey right, unfortunately it didn't work out that way...but it's in the past now. Maybe you've heard the phrase, "A climbing team is only as strong as it's weakest member." yeah I know...just another one of RURPS cliches...

[ 08-02-2002, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Space Jug ]

This is RURP:

You are right, Mr. Bone:

"A climbing team is only as strong as it's weakest member."

That common statement, too, is a heaping load of crap, yet it is repeated over and over again as if it were a law of physics. For example, if that were true, the Rainier Guide Service would have been out of business years ago because few would ever reach the top.

Get out there and finish your Glacier Peak climb!

RURP has spoken.

quote:

Originally posted by 666:

quote:

That afternoon a team was dropped off by chopper at Boulder Basin. They bivied that night at the summit. We had no idea they were there, 911 failed to relay that information. They stumbled across us packing up to get the hell outa there at about 8:30 Tuesday morning. If we had known they were there we would have went to meet them earlier, or the night before.

I dont know what's so damn hard about WALK THE FUCK OFF THE MOUNTAIN when someone is capable of walking up to the summit and bivying next to you
[Roll Eyes] I wanna know how much nitro they used to get you down. [Moon]