Climbers stuck on Glacier

joekania

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lambone. Question. I am not second guessing your experience with this question. I just want to know for my future reference.

Did you notice any cloud caps on either Rainier or Baker on your last nice day camping at the summit? Even small ones high above?

I feel obliged to remind you that I didn't make the phone call. I let the members of my party aware of the implications of such an action, and told them that I did not support the idea of asking for assistance. At that point I stepped out of the leadership role and let the group decide how to go about it. Once they made the call I supported their descision.

To their credit, they were very calm and collect on the phone. They gave the 911 dispatchers honest information about our situation and told them that we were ok, but if conditions pesisted much longer things could get bad. Were were out of options as far as getting warm, I couldn't think of any more tricks other than an I-tent wrestling match.

From that point it was out of our hands and after a risk assesment the Sherrif's department made the desicion to mobilize a rescue. Had information been accuratly passed between both parties through the 911 midleman, things may have worked out differently.

Anyway, I coul go on and on. Chatting with you all is helping me bring this crazy experience down to earth a bit. And I thank you all.

Now my thoughts are on others less fortunate then us this past weekend.

Peace out.

This is Lambone's new (and first) Avatar, since some bastard stole Lambones password and changed it... [Mad]

mtngrrrl,

Yeah, I pretty much assume that I'll never be able to find a climbing partner from cc.co again, but oh well. I thought people should know how it happened to us, so maybe they can avoid the same stupid mistakes.

As I look back, I think damn...we were only pinned down for two and a half days. But lemme tell you, 72 hours trapped in a tiny wet tent with three people seems like an eternity. Our persception and thought processes were distorted from cold, lack of food, and claustrophobia. It's true we wanted outa there, and were scared shitless, and we all decided we needed help to get down safely.

Now, safe at home we all agree that we wish we would have just sucked it up and waited for the weather to clear.

Oh, and one more thing about the chopper that I faild to mention before. It wasn't called in from Ft. Lewis for an evac until we were safely down at Boulder Basin. We insisted that we were perfectly ok to walk out on our own, but the thirty or so rescuers were so exited to ride in a Chinook that they didn't even listen to us....go figure. It was worth it just to watch the army guy pick my fiance up and chuck her into the chopper like she was a backpack [big Grin]

[ 08-01-2002, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Space Jug ]

quote:

lambone:

If it had been with one of my regular (ie. experienced male) climbing partners, no we would have never considered calling.

sayjay:

an experienced female wouldn't do the trick, eh....

damn, you're right, that's some pretty hard-hitting feminist rhetoric, lhotse dreems [Roll Eyes]

shit, have a drink and lighten up, girl! just reminding these hard-boys that not all us chicks need to be taken care of in the mountains...

[big Drink]

Sayjay... I thought that LD was refering to RURPS comments about irrational feminists. I could be wrong. Unfortunatly I have to agree with him here [Embarrassed] there are women out there that will disagree with a man just because he is a man...even if he is correct in the situation... not you, not me, not spacejugs lovely. but they are out there. I would like to take this opertunity to remind all that when it comes to saving your ass...don't worry about WHO has the right idea.

Heh, that's a good one, why wouldn't we want to climb with you Lammy? Because you got a ride in the twirlwing? I bet that as far as the SAR guys are concerned that cell phone made the difference between a straightforward "let's hike up there and get them" and a full-blown scouring of the entire mountain. I mean, it's not like you would have been any less stuck without the phone...

I'll climb with you, no problem.

quote:

Originally posted by CaptainCrag:

I bet John Roskelly would call you an idiot to your face and tell you to stay home next time. I don't care who flames...you can't touch me so fuck off in advance...

since this discussion has opened to spray...

Gimme one reason why I should give a fuck what Jon Roskelly would say to me, and how the hell do you know in the first place? If your idea of success is what other people think of you, well I think you got bigger problems than I do my friend. If you think I do care about what others think of me or my climbing, would I have shared all this information with you all?

I'll quote the great Alex. "The best climber is the one having the most fun." He never passed any judgement on those whom he carried off the mountain on his back...even went to visit them in the hospital.

In my opinion, what makes a great climber is not measured by success, but how they handle failure. And I'm sure any great mountaineer such as John Roskelly would agree. Good day Mr. Fuck off in advance. [Roll Eyes]

Oh, and thanks flebflebfleb! I'd go climbing with you just so I could yell "OFFF BELAY FLEBLEBLEB!!!" [big Grin]

[ 08-01-2002, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Lambone ]