[TR] Mt. Stuart- girth pillar 7/3/2004

John Frieh

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice TR Nolse,

Sorry you had to endure the constant evil spirited spray ( good spirited spray is ok)

Anyway, I was wondering what made this climb one of your favorites in the cascades. From what I read it looks like just 3 pitches of sort of clean climbing. What, in your opinion, makes this route so good?

Nice TR Nolse,

Sorry you had to endure the constant evil spirited spray ( good spirited spray is ok)

Anyway, I was wondering what made this climb one of your favorites in the cascades. From what I read it looks like just 3 pitches of sort of clean climbing. What, in your opinion, makes this route so good?

This route kicks ass because (its supposed) to be a full mountain route (if you do the whole thing) requiring a variety of climbing skills (if you climb the glacier as well) such as: ice climbing, route finding,some mixed climbing ,technical rock climbing, and the ability to climb fast as well as well as exposure to objective danger (if the glacier is climbed as well). The Girth Pillar proper is probably the best three pitches of crack climbing anywhere on extremely good and clean granite for the mountains. However it stands out even more in contrast to the rest of the climb because it is a nice reward after making it through the glacier (if you don't cheat and you actually climb the glacier as well) and some of the other mixed and manky rock sections.