Feathered friends or freaks?

cephasclimbs

I've always had a good experience there. The only time I was *hassled* was when I was buying a bunch of pins and the guy behind the counter wanted to know where I was planning on using them. Fair enuf, I thought.

"Fair enuf" NOT!

Behind-the counter-boy's job is to sell you climbing crap, not to interrogate you as to how you intend to use it. If he's got a problem with it, he shouldn't be selling it in the first place.

Pitons, eh? But I wonder if he'd question you if you bought a fist-full of bolt hangers? Or one of them one-piece goose-down Everest suits?

Lame! Lame, I say, again. thumbs_down.gif

badges.jpg

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only bad experience at FF was the time I put a $10 deposit on an Avy Transceiver that I wanted to rent later. I came in to pick it up at the agreed upon time and they had rented it out to someone else. I had to go out and buy one at the last minute. I did not soon forget that experience.

All the other times I've visited I've received good and friendly service. Tod was very helpful when I had questions about resoling rock shoes.

My normal routine when shopping for a specific piece of gear or book I need NOW is to stop in at FF to see if they have it in stock. If not, I scoot across the street to REI.

I think FF is like just about any other shop. Service depends on how busy they are, employee morale, and maybe even the 'aura' you project when you walk in.

The FF folks are like anybody. If you act friendly, they'll be friendly back. Also, they are curious creatures, just like their customers, and I'll bet they get plenty bored at times too. They don't sell a lot of pins, so they must have figured you were going to do something really interesting.

i prefer another shop to FF, i'd rather shop at FF than REI. Good down products and worth going there for that. H/E last time i was in there my SO and i wanted to look at some boots. We were the only customers in the store. Sat around and waited and were ignored for a good 15 minutes and left. I'm sure that doesn't reflect all their employees but it does reflect on the 2 that were their that afternoon. I won't go out of my way to go back. At least at some of the smaller shops, if it's busy, i at least get some acknowledgement from whomever is working. When they do get to helping me, I get good service. I'll take that over being ignored any day.

thumbs_down.gif For talking shit about the guy you dealt with Anonymously over the internet. Lame.

I too think that you are describing Todd, who has always been very low-key and cool every time I've encountered him inside or outside of the store.

I've always had a good experience there. The only time I was *hassled* was when I was buying a bunch of pins and the guy behind the counter wanted to know where I was planning on using them. Fair enuf, I thought.

You told him City Park I hope thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Its pretty telling that whenever someone posts a rant about REI, most responders agree. This rant just has to be a troll, and you can tell because NO ONE AGREES!

FF rocks. Everyone I have ever had help me there rocks. Spent 2 hours there the other day with my huge dog who was being a pain part of the time and they were cool to me. Got a special order taken care of that was not easy and COULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED ANYWHERE ELSE! Even Yosemite Mountain Shop told me the only place I could get the items I wanted was "from some Euro dude that will bring it over for you".

Holly

My most recent experience at FF:

They had BD Vipers on sale. Still, I knew I could get them for less elsewhere, but I wanted to spend my money locally.

I go in to buy them. All they have is tools with hammers, but they have a case full of adzes. "I want to buy these tools, but I need one with an adze."

"We don't have any with adzes. But you can buy an adze."

"I don't really need two hammers and an adze, how about you swap a hammer for an adze, since you have a bunch in the display case, and we'll have a deal?"

"Oh. I can't do they. We get them all with hammers so that people will have to buy..."

She stops short. I stand there for a moment. Then I put the tools down and walk out of the shop.

That was about two years ago, and I haven't been back. I'd go back if they had something I really, really needed, but I don't trust them, and I prefer to spend my money elsewhere.

YMMV

-L

I get annoyed at retail clerks sometimes, but when I worked as one, for a few, blessedly brief weeks, 20 years ago, I just laughed at all the self-righteous, annoyed customers, who expected service that wasn't remotely possible, given discount dept. store staffing at Christmas. Maybe a higher minimum wage would help (probably not).

_______

Ah, that Todd guy is like that sometimes but he's allright. Jameson is way friendly and Marshall is "Da Man" when it comes to the skinny on da skis! Then there's that other guy, I won't name names (MB), he'll answer any question you don't have. There's also a couple of cuties behind the counter every now and then, they know the business.

In the last couple years FF has had some stellar shows going on: Andrew Mclean and Jack Tackle. Keep up the good work, you guys rockband.gif

I've always had good service there and they put on some great slide shows with free beer for us climbers. Last year when I was buying a chest harness for aid climbing and wasn't sure if the one they had fit right, the guy helping me out unracked most of the climbing gear behind the counter so I could hang it on the harness and check the comfort. He didn't have to create a bunch of extra work for himself, but he did and I bought the harness.

The "tall skinny guy behind the counter" helped me out last night and, as always, Todd was extra helpful and friendly. I like Feathered Friends and will continue to support the small shops that give me an alternative to REI-mart.

Thanks, Todd. Don't change a thing.

Greg_W

Yeah, that guy Todd is cool, he's always been very friendly. I have recieved somewhat arrogant service at one point, but it was a while ago, and I dont remembery by who. Other than that, nothing but friendly treatment.

Merv, store owners have the right to put up whatever they like. If you don't like their political beliefs go somewhere else. Obviously they value getting bush beat and conserving some land over getting business with you and your kind.

Merv, store owners have the right to put up whatever they like.

Yes they do!

If you don't like their political beliefs go somewhere else.

Yes I did!

Obviously they value getting bush beat and conserving some land over getting business with you and your kind.

You don't know "my kind", pal, but I prefer to shop at a store that is apolitical in terms of promoting individual candidates or parties. (Maybe I think both main choices are weak.) I don't know if it's the owner's policy to promote a particular candidate or just some guy who works in the shop. Whatever. If the goal is to make money, it's not a good strategy. The country is split. A whole lot of people think Kerry is a flake, just as many feel likewise about Bush. Maybe the store should put their "Climbers for Kerry" propaganda in a little rack of brochures along with the Sierra Club and Mountaineers Membership forms rather than shoving it in one's face. I really don't care if Feathered Friends makes a buck or not. If I find the experience annoying, I'll go elsewhere...and I did.

autumn_branson_uc03_1.jpg

"What a country!"

I doubt FF thinks they'll lose much money considering most climbers stand for personal freedom and environmental protection over business interest and corporate fraud.

I don't think you speak for most climbers whatever their beliefs. As this board clearly demonstrates, there are many perspectives. It is even hard to define what a "climber" is these days. As one commentator recently cynically put it....it's at least anyone who owns a pair of rock shoes. That would be hundreds of thousands if not vastly more. The business interest of the "climbing industry" is to get as many people involved so they can sell them more crap and make more $$$. Get as many as you can in a gym, teach them how easy it is to climb the latest bolted crag (get in line for the "good" routes), and teach them NOTHING about environmentalism. Everybody today is a climber. Everybody today is in a band.

kidswall.jpg

garvis.jpg

Feathered Friends is a privately owned business. It seems to me that the owners have made the personal choice of promoting their politics over their profit margin. Its their right - and I totally respect them for it.

Its odd, but not to long ago television channels, newspapers, businesses and churches all vocally supported candidates in the election process. Today, many people expect them to be apolitical, or at least silent.

I believe that Feathered Friends has the right to promote the political candidate of their choice, and present it to the public however they choose.

I believe that Feathered Friends has the right to promote the political candidate of their choice, and present it to the public however they choose.

Of course they do. Nobody disagrees with that. But choices have consequences, and if they choose to take one stance or another, they stand the chance of alienating some customers and losing their $$$.