Feathered friends or freaks?

cephasclimbs

The other day me and a friend went to check out some crampons at feather friends. I do not know what kind of experience most of you have had at this store, but in case you haven't I have to say that some of the rudest, most arrogant people work at that store.

A good friend and climbing buddy of mine was literally stared down by the skinny geeky looking long haired guy behind the counter. Now I realize Seattle has some freaks, but give me a break. This store absolutely has some of the worst customer service in the world. Not to mention the people. Id take REI any day.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the problem? You don't mention what kind of bad customer service you received.

And what do you mean by being "literally stared down"? Did your good friend actually, literally, get stared at by the alpha-geek store clerk until he was forced to cower on the ground?

You sound like an asshole when you call "the skinny geeky looking long haired guy" a "freak". I don't know where you climb, but I run into people who look like that all the time and it doesn't bother me.

Now I realize Seattle has some freaks

Maybe that describes your friend, hence the looks.

I have only dealt with them over the phone, but I have recieved only the best customer service. I special ordered through the store and got a call back a few days later to make sure every thing was to my specifications. Jamison, the guy I dealt with was great.

The first time i went to FF i was a bit annoyed because the guy tried to rent us a beat-up Orthovox that was hanging together by duck tape alone. Turned out the thing didn't even work. Luckily, we noticed this before the trip and quickly returned it after closing hours for a brand new Tracker, which the guy pulled out of the box for us.

I was annoyed that we even had to do that (could've ruined the trip), but at least he didn't hesitate to fix the problem once it was recognized. I'm sure some stores would think twice before pulling one out of the box for a rental without 'approval' from management.

The only other experience i had was a month or so ago wehn i went in and was asked "do you need help" at least 4 times by the same guy. Now i know i LOOK like a gaper (and i am), but that's a bit excessive...

Anyway, after rockfest gave me the opportunity to meet a couple of the guys, i like that store a lot more...Some of the guys go really out of their way to help people, even beginners tongue.gif .

and Paul from mgear in eastern WA rocks too.

I've had pretty good customer service at FF. I like the atmosphere of the shop, and the people there are pretty friendly. Pretty typical climbers/skiers as far as I can tell.

Maybe the guy was having a bad day? Or a bad moment? Besides, other than that you didn't like the personality of one of their employees, what's your complaint?

I've had nothing but great experiences with FF. I've never encountered a rude employee there and I will continue to shop there. It sucks that you had a bad experience there but give them a couple more tries before you write them off for good. You mean you'd rather deal with REI employees !!!! hellno3d.gif Wow, that must have been a really, really, really horrible experience at FF. Hell I talk to stupid ass people at REI all the time and I still shop there.... One employee isn't going to change my opinion of a store.

The guy you are describing, "tall, skinny, long hair", sounds like Tod, who is one of the nicest climbers I have ever met, in Seattle, or anywhere for that matter.

You may think he looks like a "freak" in your eyes, but if you take the time to say hello and chat with him for a minute, you'll soon find out he is one of the friendliest, most modest and unassuming climbers around.

Perhaps it is you who needs the attitude adjustment.

FF is not know for it's "in your face" costomer service, and in my book I think that is a good thing. If I wanted to get hasseled left andf right I'd just go to REI.

However, if you do need help the guys at FF are some of the most knowledgable around, there isn't much doubt about that.

I went into Feathered Friends today. The folks working there appeared to be very friendly. HOWEVER, what I didn't care for was being initially greeted at the door by some poster for "Climbers4Kerry" and then a big box of those goofy "Climbers4Kerry" T-shirts there directly inside the store for you to admire, trip over, or puke into. You want to sell me stuff? - leave your political opinion out of it. (I wouldn't want to see a big box of "Dubbya" propaganda staring at me in a climbing shop either.)

By the way, what's with this Climbers 4 Kerry crap anyway. It reminds me of cutsie things like spelling the word "kids" with a "z" (kidz) or Happy Birthday 2 U. We already have enough children in politics.

I think there was thread on that topic involving some dude plugging his climbers4christ bullshit.

However, I think climbers should in general vote democrat b/c Indian Creek would be less likely to get drilled for oil, Castle Valley less likely to be developed for homes, and other Wilderness areas less likely to get shut down so it can be logged.