online summit log clearinghouse?

kairn

Is there an online summit log that everyone agrees to be THE online summit log?

I was just on Prusik Peak last week, and the canister was empty!

I've looked for online summit logs, but there seem to be many, so I wonder if

there is one in particular I should visit.

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks god for snafflehounds or our peaks would be riddled with business cards and unsightly cans of pieces of paper with wankers names all over them telling about how THIS peak is so great and how the views are so beautiful. Go to the summit, take a picture, take a picture flipping off the camera, take your nude summit shot and then go home.

quote:

Originally posted by texplorer:

Thanks god for snafflehounds or our peaks would be riddled with business cards and unsightly cans of pieces of paper with wankers names all over them telling about how THIS peak is so great and how the views are so beautiful. Go to the summit, take a picture, take a picture flipping off the camera, take your nude summit shot and then go home.

What's wrong with summit registers? They've been around since long before you or I were born. I've seen summit registers with a lot of history in them. Greenwood Peak, for example : one of the oldest summit registers in the Cascades put up by a Mazama Boy Scout troop in 1933. The first ascent party believed they were climbing Mt. Fernow. The historic first ascent account is still there. I, for one, enjoy flipping through summit logs and seeing the names of friends and family who have climbed before me. I enjoy reading people's comments regarding routes, etc. I've found out a lot of interesting information in summit registers that I haven't read anywhere else. The NPS puts signs with their rules/regulations at trailheads ... the USFS puts registers at trailheads to keep track of climbers entering trails. There are signs nailed to trees informing back country travelers that they have just entered the Glacier Peak Wilderness area. Should we get rid of these too? How about road signs? They're marring up our sidewalks. Get rid of them? How about houses? Thank god for hurricanes and tornadoes, or there'd be houses everywhere! [Roll Eyes]

I see no harm in summit registers. That's my opinion.

yeah, and i've posted it before, but i gotta say it! "I peed in the the tube!". The only valid response I've read on a summit. Other than " who's got the crack?" on the summit of pilchuck. I've never seen a summit register on really rough peaks. terror or (he blushes) goblin.

go grab a goblin!