New 7/8" Alien

Wallstein

Whats up with the new grey alien. Its in between the yellow and red one. Total marketing scam or what? I have rarely ever need a size in between yellow and red. I looked at the new yellows and I think they are smaller and the red ones are larger. Anybody know if I was just imaging this?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno, but I'm sitting here looking at a yellow/red hybrid and it doesn't look like you would really need another size in there. I REALLY hope that doesn't mean they are going to make the hybrids go to a yellow/grey and grey/red...the difference in cam sizes on the hybrids are pretty much perfect right now, for the granite pin scars anyway.

Whats up with the new grey alien. Its in between the yellow and red one. Total marketing scam or what? I have rarely ever need a size in between yellow and red. I looked at the new yellows and I think they are smaller and the red ones are larger. Anybody know if I was just imaging this?

I want to say that this was a special request piece for Rich Goldstone (long time gunks climber and i think current owner of Rock and Snow in New Paltz - great shop) A lot of gunkies swear this piece rocks and fits a missing hole in the gunks rack. Maybe - I won't be in the gunks till the fall though. I did buy one though - mainly because I'm a gear slut/collector and wanted this rare piece - It does seem like it has some usefulness - Esp if you want to double up on the smaller stuff the gray will serve as an alt sized piece in that range.

Amazon carries a lot of climbing gear but usually it's just a listing for a "real" climbing store - I think norther mountain supply has a lot of their gear listed on amazon...

You mean the fact that scamazon.com sells climbing gear?? smile.gif

Bingo smile.gif They're becoming the Walmart of the Internet.

And from anecdotes I've heard, they don't treat their employees too well either.

Seems like a rational marketing decision to me. They looked at what sizes sold the most and found it was the yellow and red. They said, "I'll bet everyone who owns a yellow and red will go out and buy one of these". If you already own a double set, you might not, but owners of single sets might buy one. I probably will.

Buy the hybrid instead, it's not as much of a specialty piece as you might think. thumbs_up.gif

Especially if you live in the PNW. All the pin scars and the nature of the granite (Squamish and Index in particular) eat the offsets up! I love em and carry them every time I go out now. One set TCUs one set Hybrids and then the regular aliens if it's lots of small stuff.