Climbing Partners?

SnowByrd

If you are a guy trying to find a compatible climbing/life partner while climbing, I have a piece of advice for you. Kill yourself.

Lucky for me, I'm not a guy eh? pitty.gif who has to go with me on my firstest climb though. Sheesh Icegirl...can I just belay people? I'm good at that laugh.gif Passed it on my first try and I tie good knots wink.gif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is nothing wrong with a being a solid trustworthy belayer.

Speaking from experience and having belayed at least two people on _really_ hard stuff (if 5.13d + not in the gym counts anymore), really good belayers apparently are not a dime a dozen. (but, hell, if they'd let me belay for them, it's up for debate.... )

A good belay is an art in itself. Most people can belay. not eveyone can do it well. Of course every one _thinks_ they can. It's all about timing, anticipation, and reading the route.

(of course this is just my .02, many may disagree)

wowowowow...bragging rights for level of route belayed...now i've heard it all rolleyes.gif

New greeting amongst climbers: "Hey, bro. What level do I climb at? Uh, I lead 5.9 trad, 5.10b sport (sometimes), and I can belay 5.12c. I belayed a 5.13c once, but that was hella hard, man!!! The guy fell and he almost cracked his skull, so I've dialed my belays back a bit, you know, to where I'm comfortable for now." yelrotflmao.gif

heh heh....I prefer the control of the ATC device as opposed to a gri gri....and I have no idea what I'm talking about here. Actually, I did prefer the AT device because it looked like it was easy to get my finger stuck in the gri gri (sp?). My instructor (Rob from Cascade Alpine Guides) spent much time on the things that can go wrong when a person improperly belays someone and we spent alot of time on what people do wrong and the consequences that can result from this. It was enlightening and applicable to my own experience! So Icegirl, do we get a refresher course in this on Wednesday as well? I would find a 5 minute review very helpful wink.gif Serioulsy! smile.gif

Refresh = go over the knots, equipment and dialogue. Hmmm...refresher of material I experienced less than 48 hours prior is probably valueable and necessary. If the refresher is unable to refresh, I'll know it really quickly because I'm so asonine, I take notes. Its not like I'm asking to belay someone...for people who don't understand humour, that was a JOKE! Sheesh. mad.gif

Edited by SnowByrd77

all humour aside, my comment was more that you or anyone else ought not to blindly trust someone (including myself) they "met" on an internet website to teach them without some real hard evaluation going on...that is asking for trouble...

assparrot hit it on the head...

Thanks, all, for your vote of confidence. In addition to me, there will be a very experienced climber (with whom several of you have climbed) in attendance, if your wife, sister, or daughter is thinking of coming and you want to know who it is, PM me.

Laugh at me all you want, Greg, I can take it. OH, wait, didnt you and i have some conversation... ah, nevermind...

Where did I say I'm giving a climbing class? Nowhere. Whre did I say I'm refreshing anyone's skills?

I do consider myself qualified to check someones knot and make sure their harness is doubled back. And, 3 climbing gyms in seattle seem to agree. Wanna see my belay and lead cards? I'm happy to scan them in for you RuMR and Assparrot. BUT, what good would that be? Hell, they'll pass anyone these days smile.gif

even me laugh.gif It looks like I had better not have any crosses in my knots and remember to say 'On Belay' tomorrow otherwise Icegirl will slap me upside the head laugh.gif BTW...I'm STILL not asking to belay anyone....I just want to make sure I dont forget what I learned. I'm asking Icegirl to watch me, and make sure I do it right...and if not, then to slap me upside the head or recommend someone who is qualified to do the slapping. But then, I guess that means I have to trust her...oh geez...this got so complicated all of a sudden! I just wanted to go out and watch people climb and maybe do a little myself.... confused.gif Oh well....I appreciate Icegirl taking the time to take us Newbies out to play, as well as the concern from the other members regarding risks involved. I'm sure this was never meant to be personal and everyone only has one objective in mind: safe, educated, and fun climbing. (at least for those of us who are not qualified to take risks)

So, if its okay, can we PLEASE put this thread to rest before people get the impression that I'm on here to cause trouble? I just have alot of questions...and asking questions is the only way to learn, is it not? That, and practice.

I'm going to start a new thread....something gear related. laugh.gif