Climbing Partners?

SnowByrd

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it is easier to teach your date to climb than to find a climber to date wink.gif

Amen Sister!

Once again I am forced to recall the infamous women's size 6 fire's. I am not sure how many girlfriends wore them. I do know that most of them now know how to belay but refuse. None of them ever learned how to climb. No. Not REALLY climb. Usually I would not get any that night because "the bugs were bad" and somehow, that was my fault. Or "the trail was too steep". Uhm, it's a frigin climbing area. You know, cliffs and stuff? Or "they're too tight". You could be wearin mukluks inside em. Or my favorite, "I can't go to work with scratches on my legs". Never mind.

Then there is the ever present risk of exposing a girlfriend you really like to the hoards of horny climbers who are willing to comb their hair and act like sensitive, enlightened men of the nineties when they are just trying to get in the panties. But you can't tell your girlfriend that or you will only speed up the process. At that point, you are reduced to combing your hair and acting like a sensitive, enlightened man of the nineties. I hate that. I am really looking forward to the time when women are comfortable enough with their own damn feminin side that they don't need their man to have one. I was born with this thing and it's stayin where it is. If it points at you, you must be pretty. That's a compliment. Besides, the other side is an asshole. So I guess I have two points to make; One,If you are going to date a woman so you can climb with her, make damn sure that climbing is in her heart. And two, make sure someone else has already got her past arguing about "the right way" to belay.

I've done my part. Someone send one my way.

PS. The shoes ran off on the feet of the last girl I tried to date AND climb with. I'm taking all sizes now. I won't hold my breath.

yellowsleep.gif

Once again I am forced to recall ....I've done my part.

Okay....NOW I am really scared. Bug, I met you the other night and you didn't seem that bad...I mean....apparently you have some chaeuvanistic views, but that just comes with your generation....and Hell, they're probably taken from your own experiences! But its a bad idea to apply these views to all girls, and I'm sure you don't do that so you're all right in my book wink.gif

Seriously though, its not considered a 'date' to just go climbing with someone is it? I mean....the ratio is much greater than I initially thought...about 20:1. So my chances of only going climbing with girls is slim...plus I'd miss the chance to meet some great (male) climbers and cheat myself out of learning from them! Sheesh...things aren't really as messy as you claim, are they? I just wanna learn...and if I meet somebody I'm attracted to in the process, great...we have something in common. I'm confused. shocked.gif

ok...here's a question for the lasses...

How many of you have introduced a guy to climbing???

Does it count if you haven't been yourself yet but are in the process of getting ready and talk a guy into learning with you? Do I get a point for that? Hmmm? cool.gif

Seriously though, its not considered a 'date' to just go climbing with someone is it?

In my experience, a single woman going climbing with a single man for the first time is always a "date" from the man's point of view. Subsequent climbing days may or may not be "dates" depending on the impression left by the first one....i.e. is she available? is she hot? is she intersted? did I look like a dork to her falling on that 5.6?

And so on...

BUT greg is complicating the approach by gettin' a pup...

hard to look jaded and bitter w/ a little puppy yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

yellaf.gif True that. I've nothing to be bitter about nowadays: my life is truly good; great, really. I just keep up the bitter act 'cause I know you guys would miss it if I didn't. cool.gif The pup is good, the g/f is great, life is grand - all is the product of living a life of intention, choosing to be happy each day, and taking deliberate steps to organize and direct my life.

See you suckers on the sunny side of the street... the_finger.gif

Girls rarely consider it a date, unless stated ahead of time "gee, wanna go see a movie after we get done climbing?"

Guys apparently do. This causes confusion.

I've only ever had one guy worried that _I_ thougth it was a date.

Guys, I'll give ya a tip...

Don't lean in when she offers you a friendly hug goodbye, it's a girl thing, we give hugs, but that doesn mean we want to give you a kiss as well. If we want to, please let us do the leaning. Nothing looses style point faster than an unexpected/unwanted liplock. Argh!

To answer the "have you introduced any guy to climbing"

Yes. 3.

climbing ice, 2.

I introduced a lot of guys to scuba diving back in the day, but that doesn't really count cause I was an instructor... Cept for one, introduced him to my crazy deep shipwreck diving which is kind of equvalent to ice climbing.

Girls rarely consider it a date....

Guys apparently do. This causes confusion.

Just to be the voice of dissent:

I've taken maybe 7 or 8 women, that I was not already dating, climbing (and climbed with quite a few I partnered with randomly in Yos, Josh, etc). Only once did I consider it a "date". In that case I asked her out, then suggested climbing.

I think the more common scenario goes something like this:

ClimberGuy meets HottiePants and finds out she climbs too. Finding Ms.HottiePants attractive, ClimberGuy asks her to go climbing, hoping that some mutual attraction might develop. The day of climbing goes well and Ms.HottiePants is stoked on the fun day, but not necessarily attracted to ClimberGuy. Meanwhile, ClimberGuy with all the signal reading ability of a blind motorist, interprets Ms.HottiePants's climbing stoke to be attraction to him. Part wish, part delusion, part hormones, ClimberGuy makes fatal mistake of acting as if it were a date.

I think it's fairly easy to sort this out:

If you want it to be a date, ask them out first and then suggest climbing, don't just ask them to go climbing and then assume it's a date. Or not...leaves more single lady climber hottiepants in the "available" pool for the rest of us single dudes.

I mean....the ratio is much greater than I initially thought...about 20:1.

yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

I think that your ratio is still a bit skewed towards the optimistic side. But hey - at least its skewed in your favor if you do find someone you like.

If you are a guy trying to find a compatible climbing/life partner while climbing, I have a piece of advice for you. Kill yourself.

hahah.. since someone brought up the doggy picture already...

I have a boy dog (a real boy dog, still got his parts) cause he's a show dog (and gotta have a parts to show AKC)

He was sniffing at girl dogs one day, and I was lamenting to my vet... "argh, he's sniffing her, and she's on doggy birth control so I KNOW she's not coming into heat... what gives?"

Vet says... "wishful thinking is the trademark of a boy dog"

how true is that...