Climbing Partners?

SnowByrd

This is aimed more towards the girlies than the boys...no offense. Girls, how do you find a climbing partner? Are you actually comfortable just going to that forum and asking someone or responding to someone whom you don't know? How do you get to know the person and know that they're safe? I mean, you are basically putting your life in their hands, in more than one way. I know I sound like a moron here, but I'm new to climbing and also the culture that goes along with it, so please bare with my lack of social skills here until I have been properly initiated. I want to climb outdoors eventually and I don't know anyone in the area that climbs, or who would be willing to go along with a beginner and deal with all the issues that go with that. Oh, yes, I have heard about the Pub Crawls.... bigdrink.gif

Thanks for your patience laugh.gif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like I said, a regular weenie roast cheeburga_ron.gif

Are there many girls that climb?

The cc.com approved term is sausage fest HCL.gif

There are lots of girls that climb, some even post on this site. Maybe they are all too shy to reply to you? rolleyes.gif

Girls, how do you find a climbing partner? Are you actually comfortable just going to that forum and asking someone or responding to someone whom you don't know? How do you get to know the person and know that they're safe? I mean, you are basically putting your life in their hands, in more than one way. I know I sound like a moron here...

fruit.gif

First, I don't think you're a moron. This is something that women have to consider when climbing with men they don't know. Some (like my mom) would say that climbing is risky enough, why increase that by tying in with someone you've never met?

For me, climbing (mostly mountaineering in my case) is more about being in a high beautiful environment and pushing myself than about who's at the other end of the rope. I don't need to have known someone for three years to have an amazing time in the mountains with them.

A case in point: after exchanging a few PMs, NOLSe and I met to climb Rainier this April. We spoke on the phone once right before the trip, but that was the extent of our conversation. We summitted twice in 24 hours via two different routes; it was the most badass weekend of climbing I've ever had.

Climbing with new people is an eye-opening experience, and I can honestly say I've learned so much more by doing it. My first rock climbing trip was to Smith with two guys I'd never met!

Against all odds, everyone I've met from this site is super cool, and all (with one possible exception) behaved themselves yellaf.gif. Take a chance Snow, you'll be glad you did.

I'm with pandora on this one... Currently all my climbing parnters have come about by way of this site. Ice, rock and alpine. They have all been stars! (not sure they will say the same for of me wink.gif

I have never had any problems with cc.com'ers, I attribute this partially to pub club and climbers picnics (we meet in person), and also that the washington climbing community is rather small, pretty much every is known of or about or someone who knows someone personally on the site, so you can pre-check you partners if you really want to, and if you don't want to do it publically, you can always PM one of the other women on the site and I'm sure any of us would help out...

Speaking of which, Pandora, was I right about cascadeclimber?

internet DATING? Oh my... wink.gif

Whether you're male or female you need to balance between tolerance and pickiness when hooking up with climbers here, which is to say you want to find out enough to make sure that you can trust them on the climb before agreeing to go, but that once you do commit to it, be willing to put up perhaps with some unexpected problems.

I think a good rule is don't agree to do anything with someone you've never met, that you wouldn't consider soloing. If you can't satisfy this rule, then maybe it would be a good idea to get to know them first on safer/easier ground.

well, I don't solo rock, so this does not quite work for me, but I do make a point of meeting them oat exit 38 or the gym if I can't get any info on them...

Case in point, my crazy kiwi friend... He said he was a .10 climber, but had been out of it for a while... Got out to Exit 38, he's more like an .11+ .12 sporto climber off the couch.... He was someone I met at work though, so i had nothing to go on.