Hikers, cougars, & guns

Greg_W

if a gun is good, a frag grenade must be better. Frag the snaf.gif

Any one that hikes with a gun because they're afraid of cougars or Washington bears is a scaredypants. Cougars' gonna sneak up behind you anyway. Might as well bring shark repellant

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spent a couple of days in the N. Cascades in the company of lots of critters, fresh bear sign everywhere, and didn't feel a trace of apprehension. I mean they were all around, but if you don't mess with them.....are they really gonna mess with you?

The anti-gun response is so typical and predictable; I think what Greg W. was attempting to illustrate (and what the NRA eloquently does on a daily basis) is THE GUY HAS THE RIGHT TO CARRY A FIREARM AND SHOOT THAT GODDAMN COUGAR IF HE WAS THREATENED TO THE POINT OF HAVING NO OTHER OPTIONS. The fact that he was prepared to use his firearm but didn't should put the anti-gun fear mongers at ease--one of their "lunatics" would have simply blasted away at that animal with no regard for safety, but the reality is, the VAST MAJORITY of firearms owners don't fall into this category (NEWS FLASH--WE'VE DONE NOTHING WRONG, SO DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TAKING AWAY OUR GUNS--too bad they won't do a better job at controlling the irresponsible actions of criminals).

The anti-gun left just can't stand the fact that somebody exercised a constitutional right they've never understood or practiced themselves. I'll bet the response would be vastly different if this discussion was centered around the right of free speach; interestingly enough, the Second Amendment is the only one that guarantees the rest...

WE'VE DONE NOTHING WRONG, SO DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TAKING AWAY OUR GUNS

Speaking of typical and predictable... I find it interesting that this is not an uncommon reaction among gun ownership advocates. An underlying violent molevolance to the tune of "most of us are perfectly law-abiding citizens, and we'll shoot whoever says otherwise!"

I have nothing against gun ownership myself, but this kind of reaction, specific or not in its threat of retaliation, comes off as very hypocritical.

A hungry bear has a larger territory and a broader range of appetizers. Long dry years force the bears to forage further and get more aggressive about their territorial rights.

Bug, listen to LG. he speaks the truth.

bears do NOT stalk/hunt humans.

here's how it goes, inna nutshell, from what I've heard/read...

BLACK BEARS:

will only attack if you get between momma bear and cubs;

will also attack sometimes if her cubs are simply nearby

BROWN BEARS:

will attack for Black Bear Reasons;

will also attack if you just get a liiittle too close to them.

same is true of moose and elk.

COUGARS:

will attack for Brown Bear Reasons;

will also stalk humans.

and unlike black bears, which are essentially chickenshits, cougars won't always run away when you make noise, throw rocks, etc.

bigdrink.gif

and unlike black bears, which are essentially chickenshits, cougars won't always run away when you make noise, throw rocks, etc.

So be sure to taunt those pansy-ass black bears every chance you get for being the wussies they are! Points for mentioning Smokey wasn't no scaredy black bear, he could throw down when it came to tellin people off for starting fires. hahaha.gif

So be sure to taunt those pansy-ass black bears every chance you get for being the wussies they are!

hey I got no interest whatsoever in taunting bears... I ain't no bear-bully!! yellaf.gif

but if one's coming for my food, you gotta bet I'll throw rocks n' shit. evils3d.gifmadgo_ron.gifthe_finger.gif

and I have. and it works. thumbs_up.gif

The "snake charmer " is a single shot .410 guage pistol.

A barrel chambered to fit.410 also happens to fit a .45 round.

Clearification: .410 interchanges (in most weapons) with .45 long Colt...not to be confused with the common .45ACP round. cantfocus.gif

But then...guns are for protection against aggressive people more-so than critters.