Motorized scooters for washed-out road approaches?

Dustin_B

Just thought about this idea this morning:

People usually bike in to trailheads whose road has been washed out. While I haven’t done this, I image that riding a bike with a 40 lb pack and stiff boots is no picnic. What about using those handy-dandy motorized scooters (electrical of course you heathens)? You can pick them up and carry them over or around any obstacles. Do you think this is ethical? I do, I mean you could drive there in your car last year. What say you? Is there any one that equates this to taking the Palmer lift to ‘climb’ Hood? Obviously you would leave them at the trailhead!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's kick it up a notch. Perusing McLane's Alpine Select for BC alpine routes, it's stunning (and a little demoralizing) how many approaches call for 4wd-high clearance vehicles or an extra 75km of walking. There's lots of mention of approach times with and without mountain bikes. Why don't folks use motorcycles? Seems like even a cheap little dirt bike would speed you along better than crawling your big ass truck through huge water bars.

cause if theres a party of 4 you need 4 dirtbikes and then 2 big trucks to carry your dirtbikes to the trailhead whereas you might as well just drive up in your one big truck if you own it wave.gif

why are you reading alpine selerct? did the pardon come through and they're letting you across the border?? bigdrink.gif

I would consider it extraordinarily silly to haul motorized scooters into the woods for sole the purpose of shaving off a few miles on the approach. However, I'd probably bring my mountain bike for a washed out road, but I enjoy mountain biking and would consider it part of the adventure rather than a way to cheat.

why are you reading alpine selerct? did the pardon come through and they're letting you across the border?? bigdrink.gif

yellaf.gif No, that's actually an assortment of partners of mine who've had border misadventures, I'm clean as a whistle. Alpine Select is a lovely little dream book with some good photos, and some day I'm coming up to get schooled. Damn but you folks have some great mountains.

The logging roads do sound daunting though, my beater toyota awd wagon won't cut it.

Hey, don't diss the toyota 4x4 wagon. They rock!!

I've thought about this lately, esp. with the closing of the middle fork road. The problem I guess is going to be lifting whatever you have up and over the trees/gates/etc, as well as rough riding with a pack on. Anyone know if two people could pretty easily lift a dirt bike over a log?

I'm guessing Dustin is talking about those scooters that are like a skate board with handles. I'm not sure that those would cut it on most closed roads.. if they did though, it would be sweet. They would be small (only one small import compact needed Dru) and light too. hmmm...

Anyone know if two people could pretty easily lift a dirt bike over a log?

As long as it's not a harley, you'd be able to lift it pretty easily by yourself, (hopefully you deadlift as part of your training). I'd think a quad/atv would be what you want for hauling two guys and two packs though. Motorcyle is designed for one guy to go real fast. I think those motorized scooters you see at Schuck's Auto with the beefier tires would do ok on a logging road with one person. The electric version is asking for being stranded a long way from your car IMO. Just get the 2-stroke version and be prepared to get a tounge lashing from the anit-everything people when you see them. thumbs_up.gif

Hey, don't diss the toyota 4x4 wagon. They rock!!

We used to have one of those boxy Tercel Wagons, and it was splendid, had pretty good clearance and great gearing. What I've got now is a Corolla with AWD and an auto tranny, and while it's fine for snowy road stuff and steep gravel, the clearance is pretty low, less than a Subaru, so not up to what one is likely to encounter.

The kind I’m thinking of go about 30 mph (at least the gas version do) and you can fold them up and carry them so crossing a wash out or tree would be easy. I was talking to a co-worker and she said hers could go ‘off-road’ so I’m assuming they could handle a gravel forest road okay. This is different than taking a 4x4 down some dirt road because in my scenario you could drive there in the comfort of your car last year. Some of these wash outs add more than just a couple miles to the trip. I don’t have one and don’t plan to by one but I think it is a good idea.

not to distroy all your dreams but the gass scouters have a weight compasity of like 200-230lbs and the electric are around 150-190 so forget takeing a pack if you want to use one for an aproach, on a side note the gas ones get around 90 miles per gallon and the electrics rage around 10-15 miles or 1 hr ride time per rechange

Like I said, I'm not going to buy one anytime soon. My co-worker's gas scooter goes 35 mph, folds in half so you can carry it, and she can carry it so it definitely doesn't weigh more than ~50 lbs (I'd bet less, cause she said it wasn't heavy).

If it's gas powered, I'm more with the person saying take the 250 dirt bike. You could carry two climbers with their gear on that one bike. I don't see the point in taking a scooter. I bet the electric one's efficiency goes to hell on a non-paved surface, if it could even get you there in the first place.