Fire!!

willstrickland

There are 60 active wildfires burning up here now. 13 have crews working them. The smoke plume is larger than the state of Texas. Visibility from my office window is about 1/4mi. At least I'm finished with my field work for the week.

Normal particulate levels are around 5-15 ug/m3. Yesterday at noon (when it was not nearly as smoky in F'banks) the particulates were over 1000 ug/m3. Carbon monoxide levels were well above the EPA safety standards. It is MUCH worse today. Around 600,000 acres are active and we've had over 900,000 burn this season (including the current 600k).

You literally can't even see the sun today, and there is no cloud-cover only smoke. Yesterday you could barely make out the crimson red ball of the sun. Everything smells like a campfire. Asthmatics are showing up in the hospitals left and right, and we've had 20-30mph wind gusts pushing the 75,000 acre Boundary fire..and the smoke southwest toward F-banks. There are also the Taylor fire at 250,000 acres and the Camp Creek fire 25,000 acres sending smoke our way. The leading edge of the closest fire (Boundary fire) is about 50 miles out right now. It went from 20,000 acres to 75,000 acres yesterday in strong winds. The Steese Hwy has been closed, residents of Chatanika have been evacuating over the last day.

This shit is nuts. There is no relief in sight. We've had no rain for over two weeks and none expected anytime soon. My car has a nice coating of ash, eyes are burning cry.gif, sore throat, coughing. All the youth sports are cancelled, they had to fly the fire tanker planes to places outside Fairbanks so they wouldn't get grounded due to visibility.

I would post a pic but all you would see is white-out conditions. Some people are loosing their homes right now frown.gif so pray, cross your fingers, channel good vibes...whatever your method might be thumbs_up.gif.The consolation is that it's sparsely populated up here, unless it reaches the city. I have never seen anything like this in my life.hellno3d.gif

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting closer. Chatanika was evacuated last night and Chena Hot Springs, Haystack and Bear's Den got the call to get outta dodge this afternoon. The fires to our northeast have advanced 10-15 miles in one day and are within 40 miles. Wind was gusting to 30mph over the ridges at mid-day, winds will stay 10-20 at least through tomorrow. It's looking grim for alot of people. Winds are blowing it right at us. If it advances another 15 miles in the next 24hrs, I'm going to start packing in anticipation of hauling ass outta here.

How about PUBLIC MORON foo the_finger.gif?

Dude, you were in Elementary School when they were popular!

Hit me

Going, going, gone

Now I dialed 911 a long time ago

Don't you see how late they're reactin'

They only come and they come when they wanna

So get the morgue embalm the goner

They don't care 'cause they stay paid anyway

They teach ya like an ace they can't be betrayed

I know you stumble with no use people

If your life is on the line they you're dead today

Late comings with the late comin' stretcher

That's a body bag in disguise y'all betcha

I call 'em body snatchers quick they come to fetch ya?

With an autopsy ambulance just to dissect ya

They are the kings 'cause they swing amputation

Lose your arms, your legs to them it's compilation

I can prove it to you watch the rotation

It all adds up to a funky situation

So get up get, get get down

911 is a joke in yo town

Get up, get, get, get down

Late 911 wears the late crown

911 is a joke

Everyday they don't never come correct

You can ask my man right here with the broken neck

He's a witness to the job never bein' done

He would've been in full in 8 9-11

Was a joke 'cause they always jokin'

They the token to your life when it's croakin'

They need to be in a pawn shop on a

911 is a joke we don't want 'em

I call a cab 'cause a cab will come quicker

The doctors huddle up and call a flea flicker

The reason that I say that 'cause they

Flick you off like fleas

They be laughin' at ya while you're crawlin' on your knees

And to the strength so go the length

Thinkin' you are first when you really are tenth

You better wake up and smell the real flavor

Cause 911 is a fake life saver

So get up, get, get get down

911 is a joke in yo town

Get up, get, get, get down

Late 911 wears the late crown

Ow, ow 911 is a joke

will, I can teach you how to sleep out of 4 duffel bags and a tent...

wink.gif

It's all about organization...

black duffle= clothes

blue duffle= ice climbing gear

red duffle= rock climbing gear

green duffle= scuba crap (emerald sea) surround sound, tv, dogs, etc...

I'm camped under a railroad crossing sign... really smile.gif (okay, the room used to be my ex's model train room, so I've got a full sized railroad crossing sign over my thermarest)

Will:

When we built our cabin in Montana, we cut our own logs. I figured about 100 would be right and about 2 hours after cutting my last tree, a thunderstorm lit up the ridge four miles from our place. Nothing but mature (dry as tinder) lodgepole pine between it and us and it was slowly heading our direction. Sheriff came by to let us know that if we were staying, we needed to keep out stuff packed and in the trucks. Once the desicion is made to run, just go, don't try to grab other stuff. He said he wouldn't be back and it was up to us to decide to leave.

The women packed the stuff and me and my friend hauled ass to get as much work done as we could. My uncle showed up at some point to join the fun. We had a laptop and could stay abreast of the forecasts as well as the fire updates. A couple days later the fire got to within three miles of our place, had consumed 40,000 acres and the neighbors were all gone with the windows boarded up. Occasionally FS trucks would go by but, nobody stopped. I guess they had more important stuff to do and figured we'd take care of ourselves. Realizing the if the winds picked up, it could easily push that fire down to us in 10 minutes, I decided it would be a good idea to get out of there. There was ash and little black cinders coming down everywhere. Ignoring the sheriffs advice to "just go" when it was time, I tried to get things cleaned up and organized, construction materials in what I figured was a protective position. The rental place was telling me that if the fork lift burned, I'd be responsible. The women were driving me crazy telling me every five minutes that we needed to leave but, something in the back of my head (stubborness) was telling me to ignore them and keep going. I had several thousand dollars worth of timber on the ground and I was doing what I could to protect it.

All of a sudden, I noticed the smoke was a little thinner and I wasn't being snowed on by ash anymore. Within half an hour, we realized the winds had shifted. Unfortunatly, it shifted sideways and kept burning for another 10 days.

The fire eventually burned 65,000 acres and sadly, claimed the lives of 2 fire fighters and a helo pilot. RIP dudes.

We finsished the exterior walls and got the metal roof on before we left. I figured if I could handle the stress of building a home with a wild fire (and my wife) breathing down my neck, I could handle just about anything. The terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center a couple days later changed that attitude pretty quick.

Good luck.

Come on smoke

Won't you rise and curl

To the top of this hill

Where the cool breeze spills

Now that it's dusk

Someone drive them off the street

Let the pavements cool

Come on now

So come on love

And lay your body down, next to mine

'Cause what we're longing for has withered in the light