glacier pk

letsroll

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a Forest Service presentation about all the storm damage from last fall. Sauk trail looked like it was passable with an agreeable amount of bushwacking. Think they said as much as well. Check the USFS website for some info about the trail washouts.

There's more than one way to White pass, you know!

Called Darrington rager and they said road 23 is washed out more than 10 miles from the trail head and that the kennedy hot springs area is gone, no trails. They rerouted the PCT to the east side of the mountain. Sounds like if you want an adventure this is the way to go smile.gif

Called Darrington rager and they said road 23 is washed out more than 10 miles from the trail head and that the kennedy hot springs area is gone, no trails. They rerouted the PCT to the east side of the mountain. Sounds like if you want an adventure this is the way to go smile.gif

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a speedster such as yourself...

ok this is what I know as of 7/1/2004. road #65 washed out, road to twin lakes open but closed at napeeqwa crossing (just passed twin lakes), Trinidy open all the way. Entiat River #5100 open but may be closed do to forest fire in the area. There is a forest fire in the 25 mile creek area that has many of the backroads closed. The Stekekin river road (1460) may be closed due to forest fire as well the Stehekin area on Lake Chelan. This mountain looks like it will not give it up with out a lot of forplay. If anybody figures a way in let me know. I will do the same.

The Stekekin Valley road is washed out at mp 9.5 anyway.

"No National Park Service shuttle service due to road damage: The Stehekin Valley Road from High Bridge to Glory, where the National Park Service usually provides shuttle service in the summer, was severely damaged and will not be available for use in 2004. Therefore, there will be no shuttle service above High Bridge. At this writing (May 11) the Stehekin River continues to occupy a stretch of the Stehekin Valley Road a half mile above the Stehekin River Ranch. The National Park Service anticipates that a private permittee will again provide bus service from Stehekin Landing 9.5 miles to this point. The Bullion Loop Trail and the Old Wagon Road Trail (Pacific Crest Trail) provides hikers and horseback riders with a route around a significant portion of the damaged road. (Bicyclists may use the Bullion Loop Trail to bypass the flooded road section as far as Bullion Camp, where they can rejoin the road. Please note that all other trails in the North Cascades National Park Service Complex are closed to bicycles as well as to motorized vehicles.)"

peeps, get yourself a map and get creative. there are many ways into glacier peak and many are still passable. Here are some ideas:

1.) over buck creek pass from trinity. Yes, it's long, but totally reasonable. You'll also get the benifit of a normally crowded "wilderness" volcano all to yourselves. Treat yourself and climb one of the eastside routes that very rarely sees traffic. It'll be a much better experience than shitcum or frostbite, IMHO.

2.) take a mountain bike. When the FS says something is "impassable" what they really mean (generally) is "a one legged blind spider monkey on crack could find a way around". In other words, my guess is you can find a way to haul a mountain bike around a washout and make your trip a fun biathalon.

• 3 weeks later...

Dean, if you are interested in going in throug a southern approach, check out the approach via the sauk river north fork. It starts near sloan creek. I'm not sure if the road is intact, but if so, it makes a very reasonable approach to the south side of glacier peak, in particular glacier peak meadows. THe trail goes through forest for several miles and then climbs steeply up to the PCT to cross Red pass. It is a very beautiful approach, IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...