Alpine Eats ...

BreezyD

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stove Top Stuffing, a handfull of dried cranberries, a squirt of olive oil and some crushed nuts or sun flower seeds. Add hot water, stir, let sit for five minutes and... Mmmmm good.

For a same day lunch, I like to roll up tortillas with whatever you'd put into a sandwich... chopped romain, turkey, cranberries, cream cheese, and a little honey mustard. Try grilling some tofu marinated in BBQ sauce (press out the water first.) Branshwager on a bagel is good stuff too if you like liver (I like liver grin.gif)

Any of the Tasty Bite stuff in the foil bag. Don't even need to heat! like a high class MRE and they are actually pretty good for you from a nutrition stand point

I second that! Tasty bite is a standard in my pack, though for some people they are a little on the heavy side. But my climbing partners covet my meals when I am eating tasty bite. If I am going on a longer trip and trying to pack light, I will bring at least one. Plus, they are incredibly filling. Also, if you bring a bag of minute rice, one foil pack of tasty bite plus the rice is a good meal for two.

bigdrink.gif

Ugh...since the MRE was brought up try these combos. Mix the chocolate powder with a little water to make paste. add the peanut butter and crackers. instant crunchy reeses. heat with included matches and add match sticks to mixture for a decidely smokey flavor.

Mix jap cheeze with the meatloaf and crumbled crackers for a tasty treat.

The best is the enchalada. Just mix everything togather and you'll be alright.

Light, cheap and easy. Lipton noodle dinners ($2) add all or any of the following cous cous, butter, canned meat and brocilli (packs well) to make dinner for two. Breakfast hot museli or instant oatmeal, cocoa, and americano. I have small nalgene bottles (4oz) that hold two shot pretty good. About the same weight as packing a little spro maker and takes the same amount of space.

Suck:

"Facon". Though some people seem to love it, I tried and couldn't get there.

Yeah, whatever. You'll be begging for it next time hahaha.gif. Seriously, it's a bit tastier when it hasn't been sitting around for two days in an old Luna bar wrapper yelrotflmao.gif

Seriously, it's a bit tastier when it hasn't been sitting around for two days in an old Luna bar wrapper

I'll just take your word on that.

Yeah, whatever. You'll be begging for it next time.

Uh huh. In the mean time, I prefer the mutant cheeseless pizza slice that's been sitting in a 110 degree car for three days (even though it soooo doesn't count as a slice).

cheeburga_ron.gif

I'm with ken4ord. The Lipton dried pasta noodle dinners (must be a bazillion variations) in a bag. Skip the part in the directions about milk and butter. Substitute more water, or add olive oil for fat. Add some dehydrated veggies that you can make at home or buy at an Asian food mart. Toss in a can of Swanson chunk white meat chicken (in water), add some "mystery spice" (dried basil, oregano, rosemary, cracked black pepper, salt, and crushed red peppers), heat through, enjoy. Clean up the pot by twisting it in the snow upside down. The can lid from the chicken makes a reasonable simmer plate if you're using an MSR-type "single-speed" stove. Put the lid directly on the burner to deflect the flames and create "sort of" a simmering condition. It's all pretty light, and the trash packs up tidy in the chicken can, which you can then flatten. Bag it with empty noodle package to reduce leakage potential.

What always bothers my partners is that while we're waiting for the main course (above) to cook, I'm already eating some soup out of my mug. Take along a mixture of dried soups (I like to go with one Cream of Chicken and one Chicken Noodle per night, or double up on Tomato or Green Pea). Use two envelopes per 12 oz. mug. Boil up water for soup and pasta dinner, pour off enough water for the double soup. Enjoy that while your partner(s) wait around for the main course, hungry and freezing, while you're delectably slurping up hot soup! It's like having appetizers that no one else gets to eat! Be careful not to get too smug, or you may end up wearing your soup. blush.gif

Add some dehydrated veggies that you can make at home or buy at an Asian food mart. Toss in a can of Swanson chunk white meat chicken (in water), add some "mystery spice" (dried basil, oregano, rosemary, cracked black pepper, salt, and crushed red peppers), heat through, enjoy.

Hey thanks for some ideas on variations on what I do. Adding the extra water like Sobo said prevents things from sticking to the pot, which makes clean up easier. I use the Cous-cous to thicken things up so it is more of a solid meal rather than soup. thumbs_up.gif Thanks sobo.