Offwidths and chimneys in the northwest...

RuMR

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just read through this whole thread, and my favorite chimney has not been mentioned. Namely, Rollercoaster Chimney at Midnight Rock near LeavenWorth.

A great day can be had doing what I've liked to call the Offwidth Tour of Midnight/Castle:

The Fault, Damnation Crack, Easter Overhang, The Flame, Rollercoaster Chimney.

• 6 months later...
Sounds like all you need is 100 feet of black 1/4'' steel cable and a come a long.

retail cost: $200 368220-rt2.JPG

WTF??? Hey all you need is 5/8" cable and a comealong and then clip into that baby and start walking across it. Get out your static 11mm's in the meantime and start practice walking them until its installed...

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, nobody mentioneed Blue Autumn at Vantage. Looks to be a bit more accesible now that that pesky tower got knocked down. Anybody climb this one? I've had my eye on it for a while I just need to round up all the big gear.

I did it yesterday,...well at least half of it before I ran out of big gear and lowered. The smallest pieces it takes is around 3 inches. I found it surprisingly hard. Much harder then Bob's Your Uncle, Shrinking Ball Disease, and Stems and Seeds on lead. Hell, it even seemed harder then Red M&M...but maybe I am not an offwidth kind of guy.

anyone ever climb the ape and ballerina at index, guidebook says pitch 1 is a fist crack that overhangs by 25ft. now if only i could talk someone into hiking up there.

I've walked past this route. Looks really nice, but really, really dirty with a tree growing out of it. Bet it would be a fine route if someone wanted a cleaning project.