Middle Fork Snoqualmie Road

specialed

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

press, that's the FS official site about it.

Last I heard, they were gonna gate the road at Dingford Creek permanently Nov 2004. The road will also be gated Nov-April each year further downstream (cut off more road) at Taylor River.

That's all a little in limbo now though because of "inholders" (people who own/lease/? land up there ?) wanting access.

Anyway check that link and call the North Bend Ranger station.

They also plan to pave the first 13 miles of the road, and to build a new campground at the Taylor fork, to be operated by a private concessionaire. There are some changes in store for the Middle Fork.

I am opposed to the commercialization of this wilderness area at the exclusion of those who have explored it for years. What can be done to prevent this? I have time and money I can donate.

This thread seems like it should be in the access forum, but more people will probably be alerted to the issue here.

The following link is to a page that describes the road project and has a questionairre. Go to the survey link and you can review the road proposals and tell them what you think.

Link to feedback page here

This link below has an article from a group American Whitewater regarding the MF issue. Definately has a slant to boaters but has a pretty good synopsis of whats going on with the managment planning.

MF Article Link

They also plan to pave the first 13 miles of the road, and to build a new campground at the Taylor fork, to be operated by a private concessionaire. There are some changes in store for the Middle Fork.

I am opposed to the commercialization of this wilderness area at the exclusion of those who have explored it for years. What can be done to prevent this? I have time and money I can donate.

This plan has been in the works since Slade Gorton was in office. I think it was his idea. I'm not sure it isn't a bad idea. There simply aren't enough car camping areas close to Seattle. There is a huge demand. People are going in there whether there are camp grounds or not and a lot of them have trashed the place for lack of supervision.

Paving that road isn't going to limit access to human powered exploration, but it will limit motorized exploration, as they plan to close and berm a lot of the spur roads that people have used to shoot old computer monitors, dump trash and abandon cars.

The paved road will cost less to maintain and will make it easier for Sheriff's deputies to get out there when they are needed.

I drove up there on my motorcycle on monday. The trail at the end of the road looks like it is going to be worked on. There were little pieces of ribbon that said do this do that. On my way back I almost ran into a couple of dumptrucks that were leaving nice long piles of soft soft soil for me to drive though. Not that I'm complaining. The whole road was a little awkward for the motorcycle.

(Note to self don't drive up the that road on a street bike)

If they gate it it will keep that area back there pretty wild though.

good point pete.

bigdrink.gif

overnight hike to the sportclimbs!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry if they gate it at Dingford Creek you'll still have access to your favorite climbs.