Travelling with your rack

badvoodoo

It occurred to me the other day that, I know a number of people here have travelled abroad to go climbing, and have therefore taken their racks with them. I'd like to do this myself someday, but a dilemma arose: whenever I fly, I NEVER check my bags if I can help it. I've had or know people who have had too many bags lost, raided, or even simply delayed by a day, which in some situations could be critical. Not to mention that airlines explicitly say they are not responsible for any items lost or stolen from luggage.

So the question: if I can't trust them with my CLOTHES, how would I trust them with my rack? Is there a preferred method of travelling with gear? Do you ship it ahead with insurance, or simply check it and wait anxiously at the luggage carousel?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had anything go missing from my luggage. I've stuffed my rack or other climbing gear into my checked baggage for cross-country or transatlantic plane trips with several connections and never had a problem.

Maybe don't pack it all in a shiny new North Face duffel bag. I've always had fairly cheap-looking luggage.

I guess it might depend where you are travelling too. I don't think you would have to worry in the US. I have travelled with my rack many times with no problem. I usually put it in my backpack and check it. Security might get scarred if they see all the metal coming on board. I had them check out my biner a couple of times in the scanner when I had it attached to a water bottle.

I've flown with a rack as carry-on luggage. It's not usually a problem. You'll generally have to pull it out and show them what it all is and what it does. As metal things with wires seem to cause some concern. The only thing that's ever been an issue is a nut tool. I'm not sure how I could hijack a plane with a nut tool, but its shape and pointy hooks look very menacing when it passes through the x-ray.

No way they'd let you on board with a rack nowadays.... Hell if they're scared of a nail clipper just think of what you could do with a nut tool. The horror.

In the US just pack it deep in a tough duffel like the North Face ones or Gregory's Long Haul bags. Always zip tie your zippers with two ties. The TSB can cut them off if they want to and it'll make a common thief more likely to just look through an "unlocked" bag.

I used to use those bright orange Bio-Hazard stickers all over everything. They're less amused these days....

-Fear

Fear is total wrong,

I have traveled numerous times in the last serveral months to go climbing. I alway cary my rack in my pack on the plain. I never check it. I have never had a substantial problem. The most they have ever made me do is open the top and pull out a couple of cams and biners. I have never had a problem with my nut tool. I have gone climbing 4 times in the last year and done this with zero problems and had a full trad rack with me.

Shapp

Fear is total wrong,

I have traveled numerous times in the last serveral months to go climbing. I alway cary my rack in my pack on the plain. I never check it. I have never had a substantial problem. The most they have ever made me do is open the top and pull out a couple of cams and biners. I have never had a problem with my nut tool. I have gone climbing 4 times in the last year and done this with zero problems and had a full trad rack with me.

Shapp

If you read the TSA rules, while not specifically forbidden yet - they are definitely in the vein of objects banned from carrying on. The fines are from $250-$1500. Alot depends on which airport your flying into and out of. National Airport in DC is not amused by these things, and in general, East Coast airports have been more strict.

All airlines have weight limits for carryon baggage - on International flights this is small (8kg). Odds are your rack weighs more than this. Qantas is particularly vigilant about enforcing this regulation.

As Airlines are now required by law to put your bag on the same plane as you, the odds of you getting seperated are very slim. Buy a Duffel Bag. Put rack inside clothes. If it works for booze bottles, your rack is fine.

i have never had a problem flying with a rack, i just drop it in the haulbag and take off. although it did cause a problem once when my buddy's gear got left by the airlines in paris. we did a last minute scrounge for gear in anchorage and went climbing anyway. it worked out great for me, cause i got to lead everything...way different shoe sizes so we couldn't share. and he looked great wearing girls clothes out on the glacier fruit.gif

but if you are seriously worried about your rack

a. go alpine climbing...you won't care about gear anymore you'll just want to get back alive

b. look into renter's insurance...that way it can be replaced if something does go wrong