Mosquito Repellent?

layton

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eat Brewers Yeast suppliment on your popcorn, my mom used to feed it to us, as Deet (and the likes) would cause her a screaming migrane.

It seems to make us less than desirable tasting to the skeets, and perhaps other things too, as I lived, horseback rode and hiked and such in N. eastern Washington for years and never got a tick either. She said it was because of the Vit. B complex.. who knows...

It's supposedly a great source of all sorts of other goodies too...

I got this from a friend of mine:

"About last night...

As I lay on my bed, thinking about you, I feel this strong urge to grab

you and squeeze you, because I can't forget last night. You

came to me unexpectedly during the balmy and calm night, and what happened

in my bed still leaves a tingling sensation in me.

You appeared from nowhere and shamelessly, without any reservations, you

laid on my naked body...you sensed my indifference, so you started to bite

my body without any guilt or humiliation, and you drove me crazy while you

sucked me dry.

Finally I went to sleep. Today when I woke up, you were gone, I

searched for you but to no avail, only the sheets bore witness to last

nights events. My body still shows your marks, making it harder to

forget you.

Tonight I will remain awake waiting for you.

...you fucking mosquito."

quote:

Originally posted by MATT B:

As I lay on my bed, thinking about you, I feel this strong urge to grab

you and squeeze you, because I can't forget last night. You

came to me unexpectedly during the balmy and calm night, and what happened

in my bed still leaves a tingling sensation in me.

You appeared from nowhere and shamelessly, without any reservations, you

laid on my naked body...you sensed my indifference, so you started to bite

my body without any guilt or humiliation, and you drove me crazy while you

sucked me dry.

Finally I went to sleep. Today when I woke up, you were gone, I

searched for you but to no avail, only the sheets bore witness to last

nights events. My body still shows your marks, making it harder to

forget you.

Tonight I will remain awake waiting for you.

dude, you and Lunkhead Lunkman shouldn't talk about your private business...

[Moon][laf]

I had one of the worst mosquito experiences of my life one night in Costa Blanca. Beautiful hotel room overlooking a lush valley, still night, grab a beer and head onto the veranda......holy sh*t, these skeeters are bad! Retreat to the room but of course there are no window screens. Close the blinds.....roasting. Crack the blinds for a little bit of air....in come the raging hordes. Sleep? No way, they were sticking me thru the sheet. I swear I was up for several hours killing skeeters with a bath towel...blood splattered all over the ceiling and walls. And of course it's impossible to sleep after that cause you imagine there's another one on you. Needless to say, the next day was better spent snorkeling than climbing.

When the bugs get bad, I find that screaming, running in circles, waving arms frantically helps keep the bug bites down. Crying and begging once you tire doesn't work too well. Sobbing makes the bugs laugh before they bite. Bribeing the bugs works as they can't hold the money and fly. Quarters work best for those big ass skeeters in the PNW. If things get bad, some gas and a match keeps them at bay until you come to a smolder. Then the proceed to nibble again. Bastsard!

Jedi

Used Deet on the Bailey Range Traverse and had to cut the watch from my wrist after the trip--the band had completely fused together. After that I got the message. There's a product from Australia (I think) called "Green Ban for Humans." Pretty much like Naturapel, but it's very effective for short periods. Used it in notorious bug country, Royal Basin and S. Fork Hoh (Valhallas), and was impressed. Altitude seems to be the best repellent though.

I like Lizard Brain's pic on the first thread page. I got a good look at a lot of skeeters this week from about that close (through the net of my bivy sack). I was observing how they probe with their proboscises. I watched one search for a pore on my skin then insert with glee...until I sent him packing for skeeter heaven. (I actually find killing mosquitoes pleasurable because you really don't have to hit them hard; touching them usually suffices). However, it's such a useless affair for there's another 5 quadrillion waiting in the wings for their chance.

This year seems to be an especially bad year for mosquitoes in Washington.