[TR] Mount Washington- Route 1A 6/26/2004

Fairweather

Climb: Mount Washington-Route 1A

Date of Climb: 6/26/2004

Trip Report:

Took the kid up Mount Washington today. Climbed the snow free trail up to the Big Creek Basin where the visibility in thick fog was about 30 feet. We waited a full hour for a break in the soup to make sure we were heading up the correct couloir. No path in the snow or footprints were in evidence, and no other parties were on the mountain.

The snow in the couloir above Big Creek Basin is discontinuous and it is now easier to follow the boot path leftward around the big rock buttress. The ledge across the top of this couloir is still a bit drippy/wet and I short-roped and belayed the kid up through this section as a fall here would be pretty ugly. (He did NOT appreciate this consideration..."Geeez, Dad! Are you serious?")

The summit block ledge and that last little gully are snow-free too. The clouds lifted just as we hit the top. Nice views into the interior. Green!

Gear Notes:

Light hikers OK. Ice axe still useful. Tennis shoes will work in a couple more weeks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's 15 now. Been hiking & climbing since he could walk. Pics in the photo gallery. (Type "Fairweather" in the username...I can't figure out how to link it here.) He's in great shape and mom has given the "OK" for Rainier this summer. (He's been to Muir several times since 7 years old) I have an 18 year old daughter too! (Swimming, Softball, Skiing, and Dayhikes...but says no to climbing!)

Great kids. You have much to look forward to Josh. thumbs_up.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Fairweather, I climbed Washiington the first weekend in june with some friends and we placed a new summit log. I was just curious if the log was still there. Thanks Todd

Yes. It was the rectangular blue/gray metal box with "Mt Washington 6255'" on it. The last entry was a big group about 7 days prior, but I can't recall names. It wasn't anchored down, so I don't know how long it will last. thumbs_up.gif

The only register I've seen in the Olympics was on Stone and that one had a rock on top ot it. I didnt even think to anchor it down. I just put a rather large rock on top of it. If anybodys heading up that way and wouldnt mind anchoring the register that would be cool.

Ps Anybody drink the whoopass I left?