The Clipper????

robert

I just got a C/M Quark today and the leash is attached to the shaft with a bolt and this thing that they call the Clipper. Does anyone use this or see any reason not to take it off and just attache the leash through the hole in the shaft? fruit.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A buddy of mine got those last year. It seamed like a good idea not to have to wrestle your hand out of the leash, and just unclip it. Whenever he would follow me it looked like the leash on his wrist was allways hanging in the way, interfereing with him removing screws or dealing with gear. Sort of like the old "cows tails" they never worked for me either,allways getting stepped on or snagged at the worst moments.

The BD Lockdowns are nice, got a set of those last year and really like them. I ussually don't slide them open all the way, just make 'em loose enough to slide my hand out of the glove. The bare hand can get cold, but can give a better grip when handling the gear with less chance of dropping anything.Just my preference. bigdrink.gif

My main preference/I think they are great for is water ice… in and out much faster. Regardless of which detachable leash you use (BD or Petzl) I think you will find most people have made the leash switch for water ice… which is what the Quark excels at. In the alpine (and whether or not a quark belongs there) is a whole new ball game (and argument for that matter)… Dare I admit this in a public forum, but I have used them (the clipper, not the quark) in the alpine and liked them. This will probably be my opinion until I drop a tool… at that time I will change my opinion… though I don’t see that happening any time soon as any time I either go detachable or leashless in the alpine I use the double spring thing from Grivel…

(Dru: enter stage left with cynical aid comment here… make sure to quote the last sentence)

As I am already on the style police’s 10 most wanted list for attempted cowboy style bandana revival , I have no problem using the double spring thing (or dummy cords as they call them) as I don’t hang/take on them… I only use them the same way people use a leash… to try and avoid dropping a tool.

I would say use the FREELOCK LEASH or some alternative in the alpine (unless you can prevent a dropped tool) and use the clipper for water ice lovin…

How's that? wazzup.gif

I've used Quarks equipped with the Clipper before and I found that they worked great. Occasionally the bolt that the Clipper attaches to would ice up, but it was never extremely problematic. I like them better than the BD Android.

• 2 months later...

I think the BD version is kinda sketchy based on a few experiences I have had or observed:

1) If one attaches the leash and jerks it repetitively against the buckle/attachment system you can generally get it to release... kinda similar to ski bindings releasing in a minor slip. I can't get my clippers to do this but unfortunately the clipper is petzl specific unless you trust your drilling skills...

2) A few people have reported (either on this page or in person) that if the attachment system becomes deformed (especially the spring) it will pop randomly or slightly loaded. As the clipper's moving parts is contained inside the clip and the clip is a little more streamlined than the android leash I think (merely speculation) the clipper is going to hold up a little better over time. Time will tell I guess...

Regardless I think this year in the mtns I will be using a grivel double spring… as long as I don’t hang from it it will do the same thing a leash should do… decreasing the likelihood of a dropping tool.