new to eatonville

chumpman

i just moved to eatonville for the summer and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on things to do. i know all about mt rainier and the tattoosh, but i'm looking more for stuff that is off the beaten path that i may not have heard of, ranging from good peaks to bag after work to local watering holes to swim at. thanks in advance for the info!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eatonville

*Two short trs with bolt anchors on a small cliff in a clearcut below the huge chossy cliff near the gun club just out of town.

* Used to be a bolted route under the trestle that is off the gated wherehauser road just on the outskirts of town (rainier side).

* go to fossil. It doesn't deserve it's bad rep.

* go serracing on the nisqually and get sick strong.

*go drinking at the Highlander in Ashford (best climbing watering hole)

As a sidenote- In my experience, Elbe and Ashford locals and businesspeople seem to be nicer than Eatonville locals.

Specialed is right.

Jens got good suggestions.

*Two short trs with bolt anchors on a small cliff in a clearcut below the huge chossy cliff near the gun club just out of town

If i'm thinkin' about the same spot the face is littered with killer mono-digit holds (read: bullet holes)

* Used to be a bolted route under the trestle that is off the gated wherehauser road just on the outskirts of town (rainier side).

AAhhh yes, known to the locals as "Lil' Michelle" (late 80's early 90's): Keggers, family (limbless) tree propagation, guns, fireworks, and of course cliff jumpin'. never knew of a rock climb there, but this place is one of the better cliff jumping locales i know of in WW (be confident with your trajectory when lauching from greater heights - serious).

My suggestion

Only heard of one other person doing this so listen up.

*Drive to Pothole Lake - Bertha Mae Lake (view map link below)

*Scramble up to the furthest western most peak (can't remember the name of it) of the sawtooth ridge.

*Traverse along the ridge all the way to High Rock Lookout, Give Bud the "what's up", drop off some jelly beans. Imagine yourself in the middle of a mosh-pit and keep your elbow up high. Bypass High Rock Lookout crowds and the rad in-your-face view of Rainier.

*Scramble down (loose 4th class) gully to the base of Toad Rock. Gully located a coupla hundred feet downridge (SSE) of Lookout.

Option A (Two-day event)

*scramble to the top of Toad Rock for one of the most memorable bivies you'll have.

Option B (One very very long day)

*Scramble up Toad Rock for super killer views minus the HRL mob scence. Make mental note of descent route down to Cora lake.

*Make your way down from the base of Toad Rock towards Cora Lake.

*You'll come across Trail # 252 on your way to the lake. Take the trail down to the 252/251 intersection.

*Cruise west on 251 right back to your vehicle.

*go drinking at the Highlander in Ashford (best climbing watering hole)

General Overview

Down load the real maps

USGS