Davis-Holland

Matt

So what's up with the alternate start on the third pitch of Davis-Holland-- which by the way is my new found favorite climb at Index.

I tried the suposed 5.10a alternate face moves protected by the bolt and found it to be very funky. Eventually I retreated to the original route, up the roof/crack to the right of the belay.

Maybe I just haven't been doing enough face climbing lately so I feel more safe and secure when my hand is wedged in a crack. I thought the crack was easier.

What do youse think?

[big Drink]

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I love about cc.com-- start spraying about a route and the guide book author pipes up!

Darryl--

I found the variation to be more awkward than the original route. The bolt is in a wierd place-- I was close to doing a factor 2 fall on the anchors trying to clip it. After a very short factor 1 fall I decided to give the roof a try-- it was easier than it looked.

I'm sure there are plenty of climbers better than me who can do the variation barefoot in the rain wearing a swami belt.

All in all, the route was full value every pitch!! Another example of what pin scars can do for free climbing!

[ 07-22-2002, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Matt ]

I saw that bolt! Is the 1st pitch of Lovin' Arms all dry as a bone right now?

Mostly I'm just posting this to see if my little avatar-image thingy is working yet. [big Drink][Wazzup]

How about now?

[ 07-24-2002, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: chucK ]

I just want to say that climb rocks. Those are some of the best pitches around. Then heading up through Lovin' Arms. Lovely [big Grin]

I think pulling the original roof is loads of fun. From below looks scary as hell, but completely positive once you commit. However, I don't think I would want to fall on that one though. It would probably hurt a tad bit [Eek!]