just starting out

SnowByrd

I started to learn to climb in the SW a few years ago doing some bouldering etc and had a really bad fall doing a climb I had no business doing, although I didn't have enough experience at the time to know that. Now that I'm older and wiser and live in the NW, I'd like to start over. I guess my question is, where do I start? What gear should I buy to start out, how do I get exposure (climb), and how do I let go of my fear? I fell 20 feet, broke an ankle, and was suspended 300 feet in the air upside down for about 20 minutes against a rock face cliff. I am determined though so that's got to count for something. I made a promise to a friend of mine that I would go with him one day and I always keep my promises. Any advice or experiences you would like to share with me would be very much appreciated. confused.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fell 20 feet, broke an ankle, and was suspended 300 feet in the air upside down for about 20 minutes against a rock face cliff.

Wow, that sounds like a doosy. I second the notion of contacting one of the fine outdoor organizations the NW has to offer. Be it The Mountaineers, Boalps, or the Bushwhackers. Also hang out the rock gyms and use this site to network, ask questions, and share your lessons learned. I for one would like to hear more about that fall and the rescue. Good Luck!

Thanks for all the advice...I've joined a climbing gym and booked a beginners trip with the Cascade Mountain Guides. If we keep having weather like we've been having, the economy will collapse and society will lapse into the dark ages! WOW! Somebody told me that if they don't have to pull you out with a helicopter or it isn't life threatening, then it's minor...if thats the case, that fall was minor bigdrink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hey SnowByrd77, I didn't get to talk to you at PC, and get your story, I guess here it is.

Well getting over your fear is just going to take time and experience. The more you get out the more comfortable you will be. The gym and here on CC is a good place to start for meeting people to climb with. If you are looking for a real safe environment and want to take it slow, I would second seeking out resources such as the Mountaineers and BoAlps, even though I am not really into the organized things like that personally, but for some it is a great place to start. Both have intro classes that progress slow and safe, but I believe they usually start in the spring.

If you are not into that and just want to hook up with people, find people that you can trust and only do what you feel comfortable doing.

As for gear, starting out all you really need is the basics, shoes, harness, belay device, a couple locking carabiners are handy (at least one for your belay device), chalk bag (optional). There is a lot of choice out there just for that stuff. See what other people are using and ask why they prefer some brands over others. Don't worry about the other stuff for now, you'll want to be climbing with experienced people and if they have experience and are out there climbing a bit they will have all the other items used in climbing. That doesn't mean though that if they have all the gear they are experienced.

Welcome back to climbing. thumbs_up.gif

I'm very much looking forward to my second first experience laugh.gif Now, I just need to do some house cleaning and find some time in my schedule. I hate waiting for things...slow progress isn't my style....if I'm going to learn to do something, I like to jump in and do it, not wait and go at a slow pace. My mistake the first time was picking people whom I thought I knew and putting my trust in them. Hell, I was only 16 though. I'm older and smarter now laugh.gif I've learned so much already...now, I need to go shopping, finish my second class at the gym, and see who I can drag out to Exit 38 with me in the next few weeks. mushsmile.gif

• 9 months later...
Would you agree with this quote from the article? "As far as sports go, you can't get much more extreme than rock climbing. "

I can think of alot of stuff that is more extreme:

* rock climbing with ice tools (aka mixed climbing)

* Aussie 18 foot skiffs

* having children

* starting your own business

* fighting in stupid wars in far-off countries so neighbor can drive SUV and complain about gas prices

extremely silly maybe

* Aussie 18 foot skiffs

boats are not extreme

* having children

anything that is done regularly by 14 year old Mormon kids is not extreme

nope...

* fighting in stupid wars in far-off countries so neighbor can drive SUV and complain about gas prices

not exactly a sport, but extreme

what is an extreme sport anyways? one that is very dangerous? in that case cave diving wins.

Would you agree with this quote from the article? "As far as sports go, you can't get much more extreme than rock climbing. "

* Aussie 18 foot skiffs

* having children

Do you really think Aussie "aydeen" foot skiffs are more dangerous than rock climbing? Do people get killed doing that? There's no doubt about it, those machines are radical. They are like trying to ride a Brahma Bull. It would like nothing better than to throw you off.