glacier peak

soha

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Soha,

No issues with the Sitkum. Just follow the crowds headed up. [Roll Eyes] I was on Glacier Peak Friday and Saturday. Up Frostbite and down Sitkum. Hard crunchy crampon biting snow Saturday early.

In descending from a bivi on the summit, I counted 28 climbers and 2 skiers headed up the Sitkum. The largest group, a party of 11 called "Climbers with Christ", told me they left Boulder Basin camp at 1 AM. They had managed 2500 to 3000 vertical in 6.5 hours. Maybe they didn't get their coffee that morning. I passed another half dozen or so parties hiking in on the Whitechuck trail, probably headed to the same place. FYI, a temporary log crossing of Kennedy Creek is signed with flags before Kenendy Hot Springs.

Stopped at Darrington's Backwoods Cafe for lunch going out. Beer menu: Bud and Bud Light. And they were out of Bud. [Confused]

soha,

go do it. i was up there saturday - sunday, and you couldn't ask for better conditions than you have right now. for whatever reason, there weren't as many parties on sunday as it sounds like there were on saturday. it's an easy 5 hours from boulder basin if you're not moving super fast, and a nice glissade (or ski) to within a couple hundred yards of camp. have fun! frostbite looked tasty too...

hit la hacienda in arlington for some good mexican afterward...