Next step up from the Ingraham/DC route??

BreezyD

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breezy,

Are you talking about routes on Mount Rainier, or in the Cascades in general? (I noticed this is posted in the MRNP forum so I wasn't sure).

If you're talking about any alpine climbs in the Cascades, wow, the list would be long indeed. I think Alex K. has compiled good list of moderate alpine rock, glacier, and snow climbs on his web site...

If you're talking about Mount Rainier, I don't know, maybe the Kautz Glacier?

Just climbed Kautz Glacier last week. Good step up from DC route, but objective hazard is very high. The Kautz ice cliff rained down on us twice between 2am and 3am, once before we entered the chute and once while we were in it. Luckily we were able to get out its way. Be careful and move fast.

I think Alex K. has compiled good list of moderate alpine rock, glacier, and snow climbs on his web site...

Thanks for the plug, but while I have a section called "where to climb" (http://www.mountainwerks.org/alexk/climb/placesto.htm), Jason Martin is the guy with the good compiled list of moderates (http://www.dramaticwriter.com/beginners.html).

That said, BreezyD, I'll agree that a good step up from the Cleaver route is the Kautz. However, I would suggest Adams Glacier over the Kautz as a route and mountain tour you will get more out of than going up Rainier yet again.

Alex

I have to go with the Kautz as well. That side of the mountain is a whole different scene because of the lack of people. Another fun route is the Fuher Finger (or Thumb). Not as technically difficult as the Kautz, but you may not be following a boot path either.