Core training

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A) Do as many situps as you can in 3 sets. Immediately fill your biggest pack with water and rocks. Hike up a steep trail. Look for downed trees and walk up and down them.

B) Attempt front levers on your fingerboard. Chinup bar is probably better. At least try touching your ceiling with your toes.

C) Find a track. Sprint for a lap. Do bodyweight lunges for a lap (or bodyweight tele jumps if you are a skier). Repeat until heart explodes. Carry two 5# weights for full effect.

D) Run to nearest park and find a picnic table, preferably unoccupied. Run over the table. Run back over. Do it sideways (moving left to right, body transverse to table). Now back the other way (right to left). Sprint to next picnic table and repeat. Carry two 5# weights for full effect.

E) Borrow your ski buddy's big dumb oafy dog that chases all the squirrel's. Tie big dumb oafy dog's leash to your belt. Go running with dog in park filled with squirrels.

F) Have children. Wait 5 years. Attach child(ren) to upper torso (shoulders, back, in carryall, whatever). Run. (Kids love this one, especially if you are doing a fireman's carry.)

Two 5# weights will cost you less then $10 at any jock outlet store. Children cost significantly more.

- a s s m * n k e y

Basic Crunch

Reverse Crunch

Hip Up

Hanging Leg Lifts

Side Crunch

Cross Crunch

What jkrueger said. I do this as one set, usually 10-15 reps each exercise. Do 3-5 sets. On the "hip up" (presuming you have your legs at a right angle to the floor) squeeze a rolled up towel between your thighs; this works a whole different set of muscles. These have the added benefit of making your orgasms more intense. My female training partner swears by it, but it worked for me. FIYAAAAAA!!!!!

I've been doing the Core Performance book routine for a little bit now, and while some of the exercises look completely rediculous, you can really feel them.

One thing I've read recently about working abs is that you hit the muscles better if you are stretched out, so doing crunches on a ball versus on the ground squished up, or do side situps with your leg extended versus in fetal. Seems to make sense since you are getting a longer range of motion.

Hmm, seeing subsequent posts, maybe I misunderstood the original question. Recently there has been a faction of training that in interested in strengthening the "intrinsic" muscles in addition to the "primary" muscle groups. The intrinsics help the primary muscle groups function as a whole. I've heard this line of training referred to as "core training." The exercises (or 'play,' if you prefer) I posted are along those lines.

Then, there is the more traditional reference to "core training," which is focusing on the primary groups of the abdomen (back, obliques, abs) and includes exercises such as doing situps on a big ass ball and leads to that slim 6-pack figure.

Regardless, focusing on your core strength is key to getting to the next level in just about every sport there is. All your power originates from your belly button. Make it a strong one.

Anywy, I'll let you guys hash it out. I'm going climbing. Goodbye computer screen.

- a s s m * n k e y

Well I'm definitely not up to speed on all the new factions of intrinsic muscle group training cults, but I did watch my girlfriend do Pilates the other day.

Basically I suck ass and couldnt pull my big 6'6" 200lb self up a 5.7 hand crack. THis pissed the hell out of me and I realized I'm plenty strong enough but I lack agility and grace. So I thought I would work on balance and becoming premeditated in my movements.

Some article or another had a great breakdown of different types of workouts, and I learned about "core" training. Being able to transfer energy from top to bottom and vice-a-versa smoothly and efficiently would probably be helpful for gaining "the flow", so I figured I'd throw it out there.

if you can handle being around lots of flexible women check out a yoga class, in particular an astanga or power yoga class. if you can't handle the women just get a good book or video and get at it. i introduced a buddy to this and he went from pulling down hard 12's to redpointing 13b.

try "planke" and "bent arm planke" if you hold the position and tighten your core muscles as though someone were preparing to kick you, you realy notice the diffrence.

I have spent severl months working with my trainer on my core.my balence has improved tramendously.. though not my spelling wink.gif