Crag & Sport Routes - Hamma Hamma again

MTNEER

Hi All,

Ann & I returned to the Hamma Hamma River Rocks again Monday. We went for the Middle crack on Black Wall. It went much easier than I anticipated at about 5.8 or so, but the crux move is committing. As you know, Space One flew above 60 miles Monday, so we are calling the route Edge of Space in recognition of this achievement. The route is about 75% done, but since I have already put in a rappel station with chains, the route is usable now. You can cut across under the bulge to the chains. Pro is mixed, but mostly trad to 3 inches. The second pitch will follow the line straight up from the chains.

The lower crack will probably go in the 11s. Now that the chains are in, this could be top roped. I hadn’t noticed it before, but just to the right of the lower crack, is a thinner crack that looks to be a 10 and protectable with trad. A short traverse from the chains would get you to a good place to add an anchor for this route.

To get to Hamma Hamma River Rocks, drive 11.6 miles up the Hamma Hamma and there they are.

We also took the opportunity to explore some other possibilities. At the Lower Lena trailhead we found a nice little wall that we just have to call Outhouse Wall. It is pillow basalt, but the pillows are quite large and often flat on top. There is a very nice bench running along the bottom of the wall. We didn’t have time to do any development. To get to the wall go to the right (east) side of the outhouse. Turn right (east) and walk about 50 yards to a pair of large boulders. At the boulders turn up hill and climb straight up the thickly moss covered talus to the base of the wall. 10 to 15 minutes hiking time.

We also looked at a rock we are calling Vista Rock (it may already have a name). The views up the Hamma Hamma valley from this rock are just fabulous. The east side is pretty steep and clean. It is quite a large rock. I think it will be more than one 60 meter lead. The face is broken by a couple of benches. This may be a pretty cool thing. It certainly bears more investigation. By the time Ann & I got there it was 4PM, and in Monday’s heat we began to feel like bugs on a skillet. We bailed and went to find shade and a cold beer.

To get to Vista Rock, Go to USFS road 2502 (0.15 miles short of the Jefferson Lake turn off). Drive 1.1 miles up the road. At about 1 mile you will enter larger second growth on both sides of the road. Look for a trail heading south (left) into the woods. Park here and walk about 200 yards to the top of the rock. Easiest hiking to the base of the rock is on the east side.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic