Notes about logging in and other fun stuff

jon

This needs to go into the FAQ but I just wanted to clear up some confusion that seems to be reoccuring.

If for some reason you can't login, it's your fault not ours. Remember that when you send us a support email, we have gotten some nasty ones including conspiracy theories. Also remember you aren't paying to use this, and we aren't being paid to help you, we aren't the Dell Support dudes here for you to yell at. We are more then happy to help, but you need to include helpful information in your email, like your login name, the email you used for registration, etc.

Additionally if you have registered previously we would like you to use the same registration. If you can't find it follow the same rules as above. There are some people who will register, post a bunch, lose the information or forget password, and then register a new one. Just use the feedback link at the bottom of this page and have us locate your login info.

Lastly, and this may sound rediculous, but we have been accused of sending spam email to you. Let it be clear we will probably never email you. If you are getting spam I'm sorry, I sympathize, I get like 100 a day, but it ain't our fault. If you want to cut down on your spam here are some easy tips 1. don't post your email anywhere that is viewable to the web 2. don't respond kindly to spam email to take you off their list, because guess what, not only will they not take you off, they will sell the fact that your email is active to other people 3. if you are using microsoft outlook etc. don't use the preview pane, spammers use unique images to find out if your account is active. Hope this help.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you care to explain how using the preview pane in Outlook gives feedback to the spammer? Do they get a "read" confirmation when you preview an e-mail. That doesn't sound like what "preview" is supposed to be about. But then who understands why Microsoft does what they do?

The images embedded in the email message are uniquely named for each message. When they see that a particular image has been retrieved from the web server, they know the message was viewed. This confirms that the email address is valid and that the user saw the ad as intended.

Outlook 2003, by default, does not download such images. It has some nice features for dealing with this kind of thing.

-L

• 4 months later...

Hello, Jon/Timmy,

This message is not about log-in problems but log-out problems.

I can't seem to log myself out of the site using the LOGOUT toggle by my user name at top left.

Is it just me or does everyone have this problem? cantfocus.gif

If I press the LOGOUT toggle it takes me to the LOGIN prompt but I'm not really logged out. That is, if I go to another page in the site I'm still logged in when I get there.

I was able to logout using the LOGOUT toggle in the top right corner of the gallery page. However, I could then not log in using the LOGIN toggle at top left on the message board page. I had to go back to the gallery page and use the LOGIN toggle at top right to do that.

• 2 months later...

I use Mozilla, and get logged out if I don't view the site for a few minutes.

Sometimes I get logged out right in the middle of an active session. I have the auto login box checked, but that doesn't seem to help.

I know, "it's just me" but thought I'd add my login problems to the pile anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
I use Mozilla, and get logged out if I don't view the site for a few minutes.

Sometimes I get logged out right in the middle of an active session. I have the auto login box checked, but that doesn't seem to help.

I know, "it's just me" but thought I'd add my login problems to the pile anyway.

Still having this problem, and with both my home computer and my laptop.

Also, the "post" link on this forum, for starting a new thread, that doesn't work.

Also, the only "search" thing I can find is the one on the front page, and it doesn't do advanced searches. Sometimes when I am logged in, if I go to the entrance to use the search function, I can't because going to the Entrance usually logs me out.

Edited by marylou