iraq or bust

Szyjakowski

Once you try to tell a story, even if you try to tell both sides, you selectively edit what to include. In the process, an opinion is made as to what would tell the story. You would never be able to show it all, so you abbreviate to make the story as clear and full of whatever impact you are trying to convey.

My point is if the editor doesn't have a clear opinion of what story he is trying to tell, you have a film that is unwatchable because you can't figure out why you are wasting so many hours watching someone else's life pass before your eyes.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to klenke, “A true documentary is absent of bias.” Can you name such a documentary? All documentaries are biased, your dictionary definition notwithstanding. Yes, even what you see on the Discovery Channel about the mating habits of wildebeests is based on selective presentation of observations and an opinion of the director.

All of Michael Moore’s films are biased. I do not think he would dispute that. Nor do I think he would dispute that he selects which facts he presents. Certainly, the accuracy of his statements is subject to fact checking. If there are errors (and I bet there are), he should be called on them.

I am surprised that Ray Bradbury takes offense at the play on words referring to his classic work. I had inferred from Bradbury’s work that he would sympathize with Moore’s outlook, but obviously I was wrong. I am more surprised that any artist would feel that his work is somehow immune to commentary by later artists.

As we (at least some of us) see the movie, I think the most pertinent point to look for (and potentially criticize) is whether Moore had evidence of prisoners being tortured. If he did and did not call attention to it earlier, he may by his inaction be guilty of allowing the continuation of these heinous actions.

NOW HELL IN THE HELL WOULD SOME TIN PAN DIRECTOR MAKING SHITTY MOVIES ALL THE WAY FROM THE US OF A HAVE EVIDENCE OF PRISONERS BEING TORTURED IN IRAQ OR AFGHANISTAN??????????

SOME OF YOU FOLKS POSTING ON THIS BOARD LIVE IN A WORLD FAR FAR AWAY FROM REALITY. RETURN TO CNN, SIT DOWN AND BE QUIET.

yup, that's right, gooberdamming, if you haven't been to iraq, you don't get to form an opinion on it. I call bullshit on that noise...and why are you yelling?

The whole world has evidence of torture of Iraqi prisoners. Haven't you seen the pictures, read the news? didn't you hear the US Army is going to try some of the bottom of the ladder privates for the torture of the Iraqis?

What fantasy land are you posting from anyway?

NOW HELL IN THE HELL WOULD SOME TIN PAN DIRECTOR MAKING SHITTY MOVIES ALL THE WAY FROM THE US OF A HAVE EVIDENCE OF PRISONERS BEING TORTURED IN IRAQ OR AFGHANISTAN??????????

What a relief! I was concerned on some level that my boy Michael may have done something (or failed to do something) that contributed to somebody's suffering. I mean, I respect the guy, but you know--the feet of clay thing. Thanks to GD, I can relax. Moore couldn't have known about any torture of prisoners because our military did such a great job of covering it up that NOBODY could POSSIBLY have taken ANY PICTURES that ... oh, never mind.

Oh what are we today?

Last post I saw from you about your job in Bushraq was all about what a brave little dick cock sucker security guard with an automatic weapon you were.

So which one of Dick Cheney's companies is paying your contract? the_finger.gif

I don't work for KBR. This is who I work for Toad BW

Who do you work for? WalMart?

Beck you looked a little pensive when you realized I had come downtown tonight to call you on your bullshit. You look weak and timid so I let you slide. Just for the record you look like a complete dick. I'll be happy to show up agains sometime if you care to continue on with your fuckhead bullshit. Olyclimber I'm sure you're career is really really really important and filled with such intrigue. But on a short note, you just made my list. I'll see you soon too if you have the balls.

And toptimmy you just got yourself a PM with an offering that I'm sure your ass can't cash. Fucking little bitch bring it.

Beck you looked a little pensive when you realized I had come downtown tonight to call you on your bullshit. You look weak and timid so I let you slide. Just for the record you look like a complete dick. I'll be happy to show up agains sometime if you care to continue on with your fuckhead bullshit. Olyclimber I'm sure you're career is really really really important and filled with such intrigue. But on a short note, you just made my list. I'll see you soon too if you have the balls.

And toptimmy you just got yourself a PM with an offering that I'm sure your ass can't cash. Fucking little bitch bring it.

Hey Gotterdam burt_reynolds.jpg rung, what do you have against Burt Reynolds?

how OLD is this retard, anyway? he sounds like he's 14 sometimes...

rolleyes.gif

must've had a dad who beat him up a bunch (maybe with fists, maybe simply with words).

sigh. poor guy.