Camping in the Bugaboos

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are a couple of options if you do not want to camp in the hut. The Boulder camp, a few hundred feet below the hut has tent spaces, streams for water and an outhouse with outstanding views. This area is buggy. The other option is Applebee (sp?) camp, a 45 minute hike above the hut. This puts you within a short hike of many of the spires including Bugaboo, Snowpatch, McTech Arete (forget the name of the spire) and is less buggy. Either option is $5.00 Canadian a night per person.

• 1 year later...

Old topic...new questions!

I read in the guidebook that they have microwave ovens in the hut. In that case, I wouldn't need to bring a stove, because I could just boil water for a dehydrated meal in the microwave right?

And you have to bring a sleeping bag? Why don't they have flea-ridden blankets for us? blush.gif

thanks,

--Michael

when I was there a few years back they had toasters. the

word from a ranger was that anybody could make use of the

electrical appliances whether they paid to stay in the hut

or not, this because the hydro-electric unit they run

overproduces and the excess just goes to heat anyways.

only paying guests are supposed to use the gas appliances.

hard to police I would think, and a not an easily

exploitable set-up for dirt-bagging if you can't camp at

Boulder Camp.

Huh, must have been a government pork program, since cancelled. Thanks guys. Dbb, so you didn't need to bring your own gas? Just want to be sure. I don't want to have to collect methane from the outhouse. cry.gif

the hut is cool but can be busy. applebee is the way to go, great site for camping right beneath the peaks (one of the best latrine view anywhere). you can always go down to the hut if the weather turns shitty for too long.

I was there last weekend. Here is my advice.

First if you want to stay in the Kain hut you MUST get reservations. They turned people away last week w/ no tent or stove. As I recall they do not have microwaves but they do have a gas range. They only have a little power for lights and such powered by a little water powered generator. The hut sleep 40 and there are frequently BIG groups. And the boot room smelles like Trask! Nasty.

My Applebee is about 800' vertical above the hut. It is closer to Snowpatch, Bugaboo, Eastpoint etc. In my oppioion this is the way to go. It is a BIG open area on the moraine below snowpatch and Bugaboo. The views are fantastic. There in clean water, we drank w/o filtering or boiling for several days w/ no problems. There are plenty of snaf.gif to hunt to keep you bust while not climbing. But they have the big metal snaf.gif proof "trees" to hang you pack. There is also an outhouse.

Yes you have to bring a stove and tent. But you will get more sleep up there and the approaches are a bit easier too. The hut is $14 US a night and Mt. Applebee is $4. Also Stay at the "Upper" area for more peace, but a little more exposure.

Oh and is you want to get a really early start for houser there are a couple of bivy sites at the base of the Kian route. But these are not as nice as Applebee.

jordop said:

You mean the Kain route on Bugaboo confused.gif

Yeah, saw a couple of guys bivying there on saturday night.

Also the schrund at bugaboo Snowaptch col was opening up and most of the lower snow was melting fast. Crampons might be a good iead, though we didn't use them.

Thanks Hikioawa. I went ahead and reserved the hut yesterday. Maybe we'll do a combination of hut and Appleby campground. (depending on the hut smell I guess hellno3d.gif)

Sounds like you had a great time there? There is a IV 5.6+ route on Snowpatch Spire that sounds like a fun route, did you do that? I hope we get a good weather window for Howser.

Did you need to bring your own chicken wire?

Thanks for the info! bigdrink.gif

the WICKED NEW BUGABOOS GUIDEBOOK from elaho www.elaho.ca should be coming out TODAY!!!!

forget that lame o Benson & Green guidebook with the mislabelled topos (or the new one that only has 20 new routes)

the Atkinson & Piche guidebook has all the stuff including the Vowell Group and SNAFFLEHOUND SPIRE snaf.gifthumbs_up.gif

There seemed to be plenty of chickenwire.

We didn't do anything on Snowpatch. Had we another day we would have done the route you are thinking of. Everything looked like it was in good condition.

A word to the wise. We are not fast. Although we typically go faster than the times found in the Nelson books. The new Mountaneers "Bugaboo rock" has times that I think are right on. The Snowpatch route is 17 pitches I think. So go fast!