Oh, ya thanks....

Dane

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey bitches,

I made the hike up to Chimney this weekend. I was apalled to see a can of garbage on top.

I can't believe that in this enlightened age, weak-sauce climbers feel the need to leave trash with their name on it in pristine places just to show those that come after them that they were there first. disgusting

Anyways, I did the community a service by carting the friggin' summit register to a suitable disposal site.

you're welcome

tick marks kill

The summit register of Chimney that has been kept over the years has been the only record of first ascents and the history of climbing there. Real nice fucking work throwing it in the garbage, because it violates your idea of alpine ethics. Summit registers have been around long before you were brought into this world. Who says that you now get to change that.

Did it ever occur to you that some people might want to see what routes are regularly climbed, and how many ascents Chimney has per year? Thanks for denying others the privledge of viewing it. moon.gifmad.gif

hey bitches,

I made the hike up to Chimney this weekend. I was apalled to see a can of garbage on top.

I can't believe that in this enlightened age, weak-sauce climbers feel the need to leave trash with their name on it in pristine places just to show those that come after them that they were there first. disgusting

Anyways, I did the community a service by carting the friggin' summit register to a suitable disposal site.

you're welcome

Assuming this isn't a troll....

If you actually did throw away the summit register, you've committed the alpine equivalent of burning history books. Most of these registers are discretely hidden in rocks and provide fascinating information about routes climbed and how often, weather conditions, etc. and some of them contain touching tributes and the interesting thoughts of climbers of various experience. If the register was lying about, it should have been placed back between rocks somewhere.

If you indeed did what you said you did, this "bitch" thinks you are WAY OUT OF LINE! I am sure that I am not alone is this opinion.

bburning.jpg

The register at chimney was in a hinged metal box and placed in a cranny on the flat summit. Not only did it record the history of those who had climbed the various routes, it also was historically the place where new routes were first recorded. Chimney has been the first alpine climb of many people in the inland Northwest and the register recorded their thoughts on their first multipitch climb. As such the register often brought back memories to all of us as well as providing a historical record of who, how and when aspiring climbers and accomplished alpinists reached its summit.

The records were kept by the Spokane Mountaineers with the blessings of the Chimney's owner. Leearden's actions, if they are as he admits, are in derogation of a long alpine tradition. I smell the bait he now trolls before us all, or, at least, I hope it is a troll. If he is not trolling, May he be cast upon the dung heap of time where he threw the aforesaid summit register and there be no more remembrance of him than of last months turd plucked from the butt of the world.

Relax, the dude's a troll. No one in his right mind would dump a summit register that has been around since the first ascent of Chimney in the '30s. The majority of those summit registers since the '30s have been saved and donated to the Mountaineer's library.

Leearden did pull a few of you off!

It was an attempt @ a little humor I suspect and poke fun at this thread.

If not the USFS will donate another box and we'll add another register. I bet Leearden's name is in the current register that is still sitting in the summit cairn.

Would the authors of THE FREEDOM OF THE HILLS approve of summit refuse?

The authors of FOTH are responsible for maintaining summit registers on many peaks in WA. When filled, they are sent to the state archives.

I was up on Maude a couple weeks ago. I didn't find a register, but found a shard of PVC pipe. Others on this forum have detailed a fondness for destroying or hucking summit registers.

Would the authors of THE FREEDOM OF THE HILLS approve of summit refuse?

The authors of FOTH are responsible for maintaining summit registers on many peaks in WA. When filled, they are sent to the state archives.

I was up on Maude a couple weeks ago. I didn't find a register, but found a shard of PVC pipe. Others on this forum have detailed a fondness for destroying or hucking summit registers.

Fuck! I didn't know that was a summit registar confused.gif. I thought it was a poop tube full of toilet paper! Sorry guys. I think some of the ink rubbed off on my ass, if you want to take a close look, you might be able to decifer some of the writing. the_finger.gif