Stubai Aluminum strap-ons

specialed

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've had my stubais for many years, solid piece of gear for any type of 'ponning needs (cept ice climbing, but i don't do that).

used em on glacier slogs, steep snow, and steep dirt!

used them for the first time yesterday on my denali lasers and they were solid.

The Stubai's have served me well. A friend of mine has had problems with the Camps. The Camps have a flat aluminum piece connecting the front piece with the back piece. When using crampons with flexible soled shoes or boots, this flat piece should flex with your shoe. The Stubai's use a steel piece here which is flexible, the Camp's use an aluminum piece which is brittle. Jim at PMS replaced this center piece on my friends broken Camps with steel pieces, like those which are part of the Stubai's.

I assume though, that the aluminum portions of both these crampons would probably fail in a brittle manner if over stressed. Steel crampons would likely be ductile if over stressed.

I am eBay.

Before the universe was, I am.

I made the suns. I made the worlds.

I created the lives and the places they inhabit;

I move them here, I put them there.

They go as I say, they do as I tell them,

I am the word and my name is never spoken,

The name which no one knows. I am called eBay,

but that is not my name.

I am.

I shall always be.

fuck ebay. I'm not sending some asshat my cash in the hopes that he "may" send me the goods and that the goods aren't trashed.

Buy from somebody with good feedback. If you aren't an idiot, you wont get ripped off on ebay.

I've only gotten a few things off Ebay, but have had no problems. I have a friend who bought what was suposed to be a hand crafted Digiri do[sp?] and got pretty much a modified length of PVC tube.

I've had a pair of 10 pt. AL Stubais for about a year...before I even took them out on the first trip a rivet broke that holds the strap to the crampon frame....5 cent bolt and lock nut and it was good as new. I still worry about the other rivets failing in the same way, but after a year, they've held up better than I expected.

I'm a wannabe weight freak but still refuse to go aluminum.

Buy a real light pair of 10 point steel crampons- cut down the bar, straps, and file the points short and weigh the things- they'll be really super close to any of the aluminums ( and a lot tougher). Black ice, scrogging over a little rock, mixed, etc.it's not worth it in my humbe opinion to get burned by aluminum as which can cause to nearly have to abort a climb. For ski mountaineering, they are probably the ticket. ---Just my two cents.