• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Ryan

European Climbing Areas

I have recently been offered a chance to travel to Europe for three weeks later in the summer for a bumming and climbing trip. I'm psyched about this, but I am having trouble finding reliable information in regards to the crags over there, specifically in France, Switzerland, and Italy. Does anyone have any info about crags, etc, in these countries? Any information is appreciated, thanks!

Great book for Switzerland is Extrem - Band 1, Ausgabe 2001. ISBN-Nr. 3-906087 Has all the cragging areas. URL in the book: wwwfilidor.ch

Also, you could try Vertical Sport in Interlaken. email ifo@verticalsport.ch for areas such as Lehn.

Hope that helps!

Great guidebook for Les Calanques is called "Les Calanques". It's in French, but I knew enough Italian to be able to figger out what I could and shouldn't get on. Les Calanques is in the south of France, walking distance from the resort beach town of Cassis. My wife (not yet at that time) and I had a blast!

Lemme know if you want to borrow the guidebook. I'd like to have it back, tho. Sentimental reasons, ya know...

find the city, go to a climbing shop in that town, buy guidebook or talk to locals.

font font font font font font font font font font font

Exactly! That's what we did.

Ryan, listen to Distel. He may be young, but that's never stopped anyone from giving good advice. thumbs_up.gif

just head to chamonix or Zermatt and there is alot to climb and a place to copy a guide book or 2

Sobo- thanks very much for the offer, but I'll let you hang on to your guidebook. I'd like to think that I'm resourceful enough to figure it out when I get over there. If I go, that is- plans are changing daily. Thanks for the offer, though, I appreciate it.

Les Calanques are amazing, but I believe there are some restrictions to summer climbing there. But you could go to Gorges du Verdon--ooh la la!

Italy--Dolomites!

Has anyone done le Verdon? We were looking at that for next spring. We are 10a sport climbers maybe 5.8 trad. Are there good 1 to 2 pitch sport routes? We loved Railay Thailand this year and may go back there instead, but we would like to get back to France. We have done some boldering at Fontainbleau and loved it, but we are more into sport now.

There are many, many routes at Verdon and it's Europe so finding sport routes won't really be an issue. You start at the top and rap in, so if you only want 1 or 2 pitches you could stop part way down. But the gorge is immense.Most of the climbing is on the top 1/3 of the cliff and these lines are several pitches. Don't go if you are troubled by exposure! Sacrement, c'est super! fruit.gif