European Climbing Areas

Ryan

I have recently been offered a chance to travel to Europe for three weeks later in the summer for a bumming and climbing trip. I'm psyched about this, but I am having trouble finding reliable information in regards to the crags over there, specifically in France, Switzerland, and Italy. Does anyone have any info about crags, etc, in these countries? Any information is appreciated, thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great guidebook for Les Calanques is called "Les Calanques". It's in French, but I knew enough Italian to be able to figger out what I could and shouldn't get on. Les Calanques is in the south of France, walking distance from the resort beach town of Cassis. My wife (not yet at that time) and I had a blast!

Lemme know if you want to borrow the guidebook. I'd like to have it back, tho. Sentimental reasons, ya know...

Sobo- thanks very much for the offer, but I'll let you hang on to your guidebook. I'd like to think that I'm resourceful enough to figure it out when I get over there. If I go, that is- plans are changing daily. Thanks for the offer, though, I appreciate it.

Has anyone done le Verdon? We were looking at that for next spring. We are 10a sport climbers maybe 5.8 trad. Are there good 1 to 2 pitch sport routes? We loved Railay Thailand this year and may go back there instead, but we would like to get back to France. We have done some boldering at Fontainbleau and loved it, but we are more into sport now.

There are many, many routes at Verdon and it's Europe so finding sport routes won't really be an issue. You start at the top and rap in, so if you only want 1 or 2 pitches you could stop part way down. But the gorge is immense.Most of the climbing is on the top 1/3 of the cliff and these lines are several pitches. Don't go if you are troubled by exposure! Sacrement, c'est super! fruit.gif