State of the nation

gotterdamerung

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh? We Americans say it as "aboot" because that's what it sound like you guys are saying. It's joking around based on a phonetic reality.
Must be some peculiar regional dialect you're hearing - maybe Cape Breton Island, or the Avalon Peninsula. Everywhere I've ever lived it's pronounced "abowt", unless it's being spoken by an American comedian making fun of how American comedians pronounce it "aboot".

Hmmm, you must live in a vacuum. I probably hear Canadians say "aboot 30-40 times a year. And I'm not the only one. Only comedians saying it that way? My ass!

It's not a big deal to me, just a way of lightly making fun of Canadians, kind of like calling them canucks or coneheads. I have a number of Canadian friends working here in the Seattle area. Although they try and successfully do say it about, I still hear them say it their old aboot way on occassion.

Uh, isn't there a NBA team in Canada? The Toronto Raptors.
Technically speaking, this is correct. But no-one outside of Toronto pays any attention, and there's no consensus on Toronto truly being part of Canada, either. It lies within our borders, but that's about where the relationship ends.

Furthermore, there used to be the Vancouver Grizzlies, since moved to Memphis.

The operative words here being "used to be..." and "...since moved to Memphis." Case in point. Why did they move to Memphis? It sure wasn't to get away from the huge mobs of over-zealous fans.

I was just poo-pooing your sentence "However, being a discerning bunch, Canadians quickly realized that it's a profoundly stupid game and have never really given it much thought since." Although I realize you were probably being facetious, I thought I'd call you on it anyway. grin.gif

murry you have to realize that Americans pronounce ought like at so when they say "about" its like they are saying " a bat". so when we say about and it rhymes with drought, spout, and flout, they think we are saying a boot. whereas we all know it is route that rhymes with boot, not doubt. cantfocus.gif

my, isn't jayb feeling imperial today? irrelevance, backwater, yadda, yadda. the minows better do as they are told ....

"now just imagine that instead of having canada, the region to the north was occupied by Japan blablablablablabla ..... blablablabla. so how much money did you save by not having to worry about your 3000miles long northern border? huh? huh?" hahaha.gif

Edited by j_b

lol... well, having grown up 4 miles from the canadian border, i have no idea what this whole discussion is aboot...

we would really like Canmore. Canmore would be good. quick! Specialed! J_Fisher! Write us up a draft! We really must get this ball rolling!

Get back to us on that one will ya? We may be able to seal the deal since the assclown congress just let every 'biler in the world into Teton and Yellowstone.

Wait, you serious? Where did you find the latest news on this?

When I was in Montana last year we stayed with some folks who were also hosting a large group of scientists that had just come from yellowstone. They were hired by the NPS to do air quality standards. On a typical day when the bilers were out they found in almost every area of the park that the air quality would make LA look like perfectly clean air. pitty.gif

Teddy Roosevelt would be rolling in his grave to see what the modern republican view of "conservation" is... rolleyes.gif