Sulphide Glacier Route beta?

Heavy_B

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heavy,

You'll be postholing, I imagine, at some point on the route, but don't worry about the approach or the road to the trailhead at all -- I think FF might be the thinking of the Sitkum Glacier road, which is completely hosed at the moment.

It's been about a month since I was up there, at which time there was continuous snow at about mile 2 or 3, around the point that the log road ends and you begin to hump up the hill to gain the ridge. Snowpack deepened pretty quick, so I expect you'll have plenty up there even if it's melted up the ridge a bit.

The glacier was crackless and beautiful. We skied it and stopped at the pyramid, so no beta there, but given the reports I've heard and the look of the summit from a month ago, the gully may be close to melted out by now. The snow was reportedly pretty unstable and getting ready to let go of the rock. Of course, there's been considerable snowfall in that area/elevation in the last few weeks, so who knows.

Have a blast. Take snowshoes if you've got them, or better, skis. Any way you do it though, it's a beautiful route.

m

I've used skis before in the backcountry and I'm really jealous when I see you guys cruise up and down in the amount of time it takes me to setup camp. Problem is that I forgot you need to be able to turn and I became a ballistic missile in 4 seconds and wiped out some trees in the process. I'm sticking to snowshoes, which suck but less people are in danger.

Thanks Elevation! I thought the road was open. I've seen posts on the park website and it appears there have been several attempts, which means people are not walking 20 miles. I've done the route 3 times before and I love it. This is a first for a couple guys I'm taking so I thought it would be a great trip for them. It's a beautiful view over to the pickets etc. Thanks again. I wish I could ski without killing anyone.