how bad is it really?

aukushner

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are not disuaded by the crowds on s side of hood on a nice weekend, you should have no problem with the crowds on the DC.

the DC is a bump up in technical difficulty from the std routes on the mountains you mention, however.

Alex

Oh yes, totally understand all of those pieces. Not thinking of it for right now - just trying to glean some more information than what I have in books - you know, from people who have climbed. Hard if you have never done it, to actually know how it is! Thanks though!

DC is a great summer route in good weather conditions. Just have your shit together even though it's a trench. I always try to be the first team leaving Muir or Ingrahm. That means a 11PM departure sometimes. That'll cut down on any rockfall from the DC and avoid the RMI herds. You'll also be down before everything turns to the dreaded wet oatmeal. Nothing beats a sunrise from the top either...

-Fear

A good life policy I try to follow is: if you don't know; don't do it. You and only you are responsible for yourself in the mountains.

Wow with this "Don't attempt the unknown" We'd still be climbing the rocks at stonehenge.

I'd say fuck it, try it, half the fun is route finding, "not a problem on the DC on a w/e" and experiencing the indecision with climbing.

A good life policy I try to follow is: if you don't know; don't do it. You and only you are responsible for yourself in the mountains.

Wow with this "Don't attempt the unknown" We'd still be climbing the rocks at stonehenge.

I think what NOLSe meant to say is this:

As we know,

There are known knowns.

There are things we know we know.

We also know

There are known unknowns.

That is to say

We know there are some things

We do not know.

But there are also unknown unknowns,

The ones we don't know

We don't know.

wink.gif

I agree with the Emmons talk. The DC is overcrowded, ugly, and overly dangerous, relatively.

-L

just trying to glean some more information than what I have in books - you know, from people who have climbed.

PM Pandora.

why? have they put a dsl line into the muir hut recently??? yelrotflmao.gif

Whatever, kid tongue.gif. I haven't been up there in six weeks! I'm not even sure whether my little snowman prince is still there cry.gif

As we know,

There are known knowns.

We also know

That is to say

We do not know.

The ones we don't know

We don't know.

Am I the only one who thinks that makes sense? confused.gif

To get back on topic, I like the DC in early season when the cleaver is still covered in snow. It's certainly not the route you want if you're looking for solitude or a wilderness experience, but it has its advantages. And it is by far my favorite descent route! When you top out in shitty conditions, it's a relief to get on that low-angle, switchbacking trench and sail down to Muir.

As we know,

There are known knowns.

We also know

That is to say

We do not know.

The ones we don't know

We don't know.

Isn't that Rum-speak?