In the Midwest

AlpinistAndrew

So I took a job in Wisconsin/Minnesota working at a camp. It is a nice area, never been to this part of the US before. I will be canoeing and backpacking in the Boundary Waters Wilderness most of the time. Hopefully I will get some form of climbing in. I brought my rock shoes so I may be able to find a rock somewhere. Quite a change from my normal topographical surroundings. I'm used to seeing Mt. Rainier at least once a month and climbing somthing higher that 2 ft. in elevation. But I'll get in some alpine when I get back I guess. hope this summer is a good one in the cascades and that conditions will be nice when I return in August, cause I want to climb some mountains. Anyone know of any places to climb out here.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im in Minneapolis.

Who are you working for?

You will LOVE the boundary waters. I dont know anyone who doesnt. Its so beautiful and peaceful.

Are you going to be based out of Ely or Grand Marais?

I will give you mileage/travel time from the twin cities to various climbing areas. Hopefully that will help give you an idea. If you need more specific directions. route reccomendations, etc let me know

*North Shore (both inland/on the shore-trad and tr)....3.5 hrs max. ! hr from Duluth

*Quarry (DUluth)...2-2.5hrs

*Taylors Falls (trad/tr/bouldering)....45-60 minutes

*Red Wing (sport/limited trad/limited bouldering)...1hr

*Willow (hard ass sport)....1hr

*Devils Lake (trad, bouldering)...5hrs

*Sandstone (tr/trad/dt)...2 hrs

Drop me a line if you have any free time and I would be happy to meet up with ya (i have gear). My schedule is fairly flexible during the week if I know a bit in advance. Weekends are usually free as well.

Most important...DONT FORGET THE BUG JUICE...LOTS OF IT!

-carolyn

The North shore of Superior has quite a bit of solid granite, check em out.

Get in touch with Carolyn from CC.com, she's in Minnesota and can probably give you the beta.

edited to say: Looks like Carolyn was posting at the same time I was.

Edited by Beck

You'll probably get lonesome for the mountains in MN, but if you like canoeing, the BWCA is the best spot in the world. I can't recommend it enough.

As far as rock climbing goes... I never climbed before I moved out to the PNW, but if I were you, I'd check out Shovel Point/Tettegouche State Park on the North Shore of Lake Superior. It's a beautiful area. I'm definitely heading up there if I'm ever back in MN during the summer.

I'd seek out whatever's different about the Midwest. IMHO the coolest thing is the whole Northwoods ecosystem, which has a totally different dynamic from alpine or rainforest ecosystems. And Devils Lake is worth the drive: imagine if Ingalls were composed entirely of that slick green serpentine rock.

I am working at a camp at Lake Nebagamon, WI about 30 minutes east of Duluth. I did go to Betties pies and had a taste, quite delicious. I also had one of the best malts ever in Duluth. I will be mostly in the Boundary Waters guiding canoeing and backpacking trips, but I will have some free time, especially in the next 2 weeks. I would love to meet up and do some rock sometime. Thanks for the info everyone and I will be enjoying this new environment of the Northwoods. bigdrink.gif

Hey Andrew,

I'm curious as to what the hardwoods look like out there nowadays. 3 years ago (almost to the day) my bros and I canoed east/south east of Ely and the 'army worms' had defoliated the entire forest (except for conifers). These things covered our tent, packs, us, everything. Are they still out there devouring the North Woods?