[TR] Mt. Baker- Coleman/Deming 6/13/2004

BreezyD

Climb: Mt. Baker-Coleman/Deming

Date of Climb: 6/13/2004

Trip Report:

Well, here goes with my first trip report ...

My Dad and I headed up to Glacier to meet up with our team (7 of us total) experiencing decent weather (blue sky, sun breaks from time to time). We were hopeful for the trip considering the miserable weather that NOAA was predicting of low freezing levels and 90% chance of precipitation.

The trail was good going with a few blow downs and some snowy patches. We were able to head straight up the gully behind the bathrooms to the top of the Hog's Back which saved us some time. From there, we headed straight up to our camp at 7000' which we established in a wind cirque under a ridge. The travel to camp was great, solid boot pack, small crevasse lines just starting to form, however, the weather started to get worse with visibility deteriorating and snow starting to fall. We reached camp by 2:30 p.m. and settled in for the night with a planned departure for the summit at 4:00 a.m. Two of our team had more experience (and energy) than the others decided to make a summit attempt that afternoon, trying to beat the weather that was heading in. They roped up and headed out at 5:00 but were turned around at 8000' with new snow (post holing up to their thighs), low visibility, and the decision that it would take more wands than they had to get down safely. They returned to camp and hunkered down with the rest of us. Snow continued to get thicker as the night wore on and winds started to pick up around 9:00 p.m. Although I am not the best gauge of wind, I would say that there was consistent wind with gusts in the 40-50 mph range.

We woke up to two new feet of snow blanketing our camp, a bunch of buried gear, and snow that continued to fall. Our summit attempt was scrapped so we went back to bed for an hour before getting up, packing up, and heading down. As we headed down, the snow turned to a consistently hard rain by the Hog's Back and turned to a deluge at the car.

All in all it was a good experience to test the mettle in miserable conditions. We still had a great time.

This is the second time Baker has beaten me. I will be back! (Next time, I will give the NOAA forecast a little more credence ... they were spot on!) smile.gif

Brianna - a.k.a. Breezy D

Gear Notes:

Didn't get the chance. frown.gif

Approach Notes:

Trail 80% snow-free to Hog's Back. Road 100% clear to trail head.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks NOLSe! No PM's from cracked yet ... should I beware? wink.gif

Weather is looking great for this weekend, I might try to convince my Dad to take another stab at Baker. Either way, we have a chance to redeem ourselves on Rainier the weekend of the 26th. We'll see what happens. smile.gif

should I beware?

Get yourself a big stick and avoid wearing orange (he is drawn to it for some reason...) hahaha.gif

And be careful mentioning climbing plans in public... you'll get 80 pms from random strangers wanting to join you. PM Pandora... she can fill you in on the dos and don'ts of cc.com female users.

Weak sauce dude...

How are you spraying so much these days? Aren't you working this summer? Rainer is looking good this weekend...

Work is programming. Ethernet in the wrong hands. hellno3d.gif But hey, give me some credit, I revamped the lab's website yesterday and this morning. I get to start working on the fish code tomorrow. fruit.gif

Fuck Rainier, I want Adams. N side. Skis. rockband.gif

What's this? You make demands of the silent giants! Hail and thunder will be brought down to smite you from your two-planked human pedestal, and your hubris will cause your marrow to be scoured by glacier worms for eternity for your transgressions! Wrath and fury your way comes! Wa-ha-ha-hah-hoo-hoo-huh-hoo!!

Just when Pandora starts climbing rock; another girl steps in to fill her niche. confused.gifwink.gifyellaf.gif

No one can fill my post-holing shoes, hon wink.gif

But BreezyD, you're welcome to try! I hereby challenge you to a slog-off! You pick the mountain and day, and we'll duel for the title of cc.com Posthole Queen boxing_smiley.gif

Holy crap Pandora, after reading of your excapades, I would need months of work in order to even be competitive!

Challenge not accepted ... yet! smile.gif

Doll, you don't know the half of it. tongue.gif Let's go climbing and show these wankers some alpine style.