four season tents

letsroll

I am in the need of a 4 season two man tent. It seams to make more sense than each person taking a Bivi. Right now I am checking out Moutain hardwear Ev2, Mountain Hardwear Trango 4 Tent, MSR Prophet Tent, REI Geo Mountain 3 Tent. What do you guys think of the single wall tents? Would a two wall design be better for weather? Looking to take the tent up Rainier so possible rain, snow, and high winds to deal with. We will say money is no object, rather spend money and get the best tent possible than deal with bad products or have to up grade later. Also I am 6 foot 6 inch so it must be roomy to deal with my tall ass. I also would like to be able to cook inside as well. My finall cosideration will be weight. What is your favorite 4 season tent?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MSR Prophet is a massive (and heavy) tent. If you like MSR, check out the Fury (which I have and love) or the Phantom.

Prophet:

prophet_middle.jpg

prophet_bottom.jpg

prophet_diagram.jpg

Specifications:

Capacity: 3 - 4 Persons

Floor + Vestibule Area: 54 + 14 ft² / 5 + 1.3 m²

Interior Peak Height: 3 ft 6 in / 1.06 m

Minimum Weight: 11 lbs 11 oz / 5.3 kg

Packaged Weight: 12 lbs / 5.8 kg

Packaged Size: 8" x 22" / 20.3cm x 55.9cm

Fury:

fury_middle.jpg

fury_bottom.jpg

fury_diagram.jpg

Specifications:

Capacity: 2 Persons

Floor + Vestibule Area: 36 + 9 ft² / 3.3 + .8 m²

Interior Peak Height: 3 ft 9 in / 1.1 m

Minimum Weight: 6 lbs 10 oz / 3 kg

Packaged Weight: 7 lbs 10 oz / 3.5 kg

Packaged Size: 6" x 20" / 15.3cm x 50.8cm

I just happen to be using an MT Hardwear Annapurna which at about 6lbs, its hangin' up there with the Trango's, but I know that i'm very interested in buying an EV2, but havent got the cash yet, so for now all I can do is day dream about it...

But I do agree with Munckee on the Eldorado. Its simple and straight foward, but not much of a family camping tent....lol

One quick comment ... Mountain Hardwear tents may be heavy but our Trango held up famously at Muir a few years ago in a windstorm with gusts clocked at 90 mph.

My two cents.

Just curious, how did you clock them? I didn't think they had a working anemometer at Camp Muir. I always heard the NPS "extrapolated" based on meterological data from Paradise.