Hardshell vs. softshell pants?

munckee

Considering getting a pair of soft shell pants to carry instead of my hard shell pants. What have your experiences been between the two? Any recommendations for or against making the switch?

Usually I carry a pair of light long underwear bottoms and my shell pants. Rarely do I need the long underwear and just wear my shells as wind pants. I'm thinking that maybe a pair of softshell pants will bridge the gap between the two and allow me to carry just one pair of pants.

Also, I'm considering an order from beyondfleece; anyone used them?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get the pants already and try them out. It's not that big a decision. Didn't you already get copious detailed advice from the rockclimbing.com crowd?

Do a search for beyondfleece, I think several people have ordered stuff from them.

And see the thread on old-skool softshell. You can get a tracksuit for ten bucks and look supa-fly.

Dude, I gave you plenty of help and just a little attitude. Do a search on this site for the topic of your choice and you will find a lot of info, like on beyondfleece.

For summer, if you need wind pants, just get some cheap nylon pants at Goodwill. Spray Scotchguard on them for a little more protection from the rain.

A couple hundred dollars is way too much for softshell pants. Even the most expensive Patagucci pants are < $200. Get the MEC brand, they're probably pretty good. Or the REI ones -- I wear them all the time. I think both are ~ US$100. Or get the old-skool track pants like Dru.

Edited by slothrop

Dude, I gave you plenty of help and just a little attitude. Do a search on this site for the topic of your choice and you will find a lot of info, like on beyondfleece.

For summer, if you need wind pants, just get some cheap nylon pants at Goodwill. Spray Scotchguard on them for a little more protection from the rain.

A couple hundred dollars is way too much for softshell pants. Even the most expensive Patagucci pants are < $200. Get the MEC brand, they're probably pretty good. Or the REI ones -- I wear them all the time. I think both are ~ US$100. Or get the old-skool track pants like Dru.

You gave me your opinion. I don't intend to base a purchase decision on just your opinion, however good you may consider it. I was asking for other opinions as well.

As if uncoated nylon is going to be cooler than Gore-tex? Maybe only cause you will already be wet, but otherwise, I don't see it. Coated would often be lighter of course, which is a valid approach if you figure you are wearing the soft shells most of the time anyway.

In truth, you need both soft shell and hard shell in pants. The soft shell you will use nearly all the time, while the hard shell equivalent (be it waterproof/breathable or just coated) will be just for the foul weather. Depending on how well you choose your weather, you can get by without the full storm protection. If you need to be out in all conditions, you are going to need a storm barrier of some sort.

I don't know what you're planning to use them for, but I get soaked often enough in full goretex. Softshell doesn't fit my needs in any way. In the summer, when it's too warm for Goretex, wear uncoated nylon. And yes, I've tried softshells.

GORT BOI! hahaha.gif

My spring/fall system is like this: synthetic boxer-briefs, then synth thermal bottoms, on top of that i wear some TNF Apex softshell pants (with all TNF advertising removed!). This works for about 80% of the time, like last weekend up at muir where it was snowing hard and blowing around 35-40...it's also what I wear when snowsoeing or XC skiing in winter. For warmer conditons, the thermal layer is omitted, and for intense rainy muckiness, I throw on a pair of light shell pants (Marmot Precip full-zip) but they get scraped up easy on rock, so dont scrape your knees! Another issue I have with softshell pants that nobody's broght up is they get stinky faster than most pants...usually on the second or third day of a trip they start to get 'noticable'. I guess that goes with anything sythetic, be it a shirt, liner socks, or whatever. Despite that, it gives you a broader comfort zone in more varied conditions and is as durable as anything else i've owned ...before i wore Mtn Hardware Pack Pants for most stuff, and for comparison, they aren't as water repellant, don't breath as well, and aren't as stretchy-comfy. My next pair of pants will be $3.00 polyester slacks, circa 1973...the fit is better than the REI Mistrel and One pants...am I the only one that doesn't like the way those things fit? tongue.gif

the fit is better than the REI Mistrel and One pants...am I the only one that doesn't like the way those things fit? tongue.gif

No. The fit of the Mistrals is terrible.

And I think everyone here is avoiding the obvious. The best system is shorts over polypro and you all know it!

Props to Beyond Fleece. I have a Cold Fusion jacket of theirs and it is the best money I have spent on outerwear, except perhaps for my Seattle Sombrero. There is nothing that beats a custom fit, and the quality of their materials and construction is mighty fine. This won't be the cheapest option for pants (their Schoeller Extreme fabric pants are pricier than comparable MEC pants), but damn if it isn't worth it for a sweet fit.

rockband.gif

The REI pants do suck, but I wear them because they're what I have. The belt is ridiculous (the elastic doesn't stay cinched) and the ankle cuff velcro never stays put. The fabric's nice enough, though.

Sorry about all the hate this morning, I must have not had my coffee or something. hellno3d.gif

Cracked, don't make me post a polypro-only shot from Mother's Day.

The REI pants do suck, but I wear them because they're what I have. The belt is ridiculous (the elastic doesn't stay cinched) ....
Do what I did. Yank out the worthless elastic belt it came with (I think I had to remove a couple stitches) and replace it with a $2.50 3/4" non elastic belt that REI sells. Slides easily into the belt slots and those pants will quit trying to constantly ride halfway down your butt.

the fit is better than the REI Mistral and One pants...am I the only one that doesn't like the way those things fit?

The Wn's Mistral and One pants are cut way better than the Mns, just like the jackets, for some reason.

Interesting. My climbing partner today was wearing the women's mistrals and hated them. Besides the obvious disintegration of the construction, her chief complaint was that the pocket zippers are perfectly located to grind into her hips when wearing a pack belt or harness. Sounds like another winner from Lowest Common Denominator. Were these pants actually designed specifically not to be worn climbing? Kinda makes you wonder...

the fit is better than the REI Mistral and One pants...am I the only one that doesn't like the way those things fit?

The Wn's Mistral and One pants are cut way better than the Mns, just like the jackets, for some reason.

Interesting. My climbing partner today was wearing the women's mistrals and hated them. Besides the obvious disintegration of the construction, her chief complaint was that the pocket zippers are perfectly located to grind into her hips when wearing a pack belt or harness. Sounds like another winner from Lowest Common Denominator. Were these pants actually designed specifically not to be worn climbing? Kinda makes you wonder...

Whatever happened to the old fashioned concept of actually trying something on before you buy it? rolleyes.gif

I have a pair of BD Alpine pants that are going strong into their 4th season. They've taken much abuse that would've shredded Goretex. Pretty weather proof and dry quick if you manage to soak them. I'll buy them (or something comprable) again when I manage to wear my current pair out. I've only worn my hardshell bibs twice since buying the BD pants and regretted it both times.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually think my mens' Mistral pants fit great, but then again, I'm a fat bastard bigdrink.gif

I agree, though, the belt does suck--maybe I'll try that mod someone else suggested...

If you buy soft shell pants, why would you be carrying them?

Uh. What do you mean?

Answer: With soft shells you need not pack them. You wear them, all the time. Sun, drizzle, cold. That's what's cool about them, it lighten up your pack a pound or two. Plus they are comfy, they climb well(stretchy), and look good enough to go to a nice place to eat when your done. They are kind of the perfect pant. It's scary, but I think soft shells will get much more popular for people just wearing them around.

Just watch Star Trek! hehe

Considering getting a pair of soft shell pants to carry instead of my hard shell pants. What have your experiences been between the two? Any recommendations for or against making the switch?

Usually I carry a pair of light long underwear bottoms and my shell pants. Rarely do I need the long underwear and just wear my shells as wind pants. I'm thinking that maybe a pair of softshell pants will bridge the gap between the two and allow me to carry just one pair of pants.

Also, I'm considering an order from beyondfleece; anyone used them?

I bought some pants from Beyond Fleece, and will buy from them again the next time I need another softshell - which might be a while as the ones I have already have been pretty durable. The service was excellent, the fit/workmanship was great, and they were in my hands one week after the order. The price is comparable to mass production stuff, and the fit is way better so there's really no choice IMO. Plus you can customize the options - something else you can't get with the mass market merch.

If you are looking for an all-around pant, go with the Schoeller Dryskin fabric. Dryskin Extreme and other variations will be too warm for all around use.