Late 60's Natl Geo Magazine Cover shot Question

johndavidjr

NCNP was subject of NatlGeo Mag cover soon after park was established, when I was 12. It's of a group of climbers seemingly about to rap off a route. There is a tarn far below. I kept the thing for years but lost it long ago, & wish now that I knew where cover shot was taken, & by who etc.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My parents have all the old Natl. Geographic Magz in their garage starting from about the late 60's. No guarantees, but I could have them check for the issue and photography info therein but you'll have to be a little more specific on the year. If you can narrow it down to a specific year, I may be able to get some answers for you.

The park was created in 1968, so the issue might be from that year.

Wow-- Thanks!!! I haven't seen that in years. The article itself was very bland, even to a 12-year-old, but dumb as it sounds, that shot definitely is a key piece of something-or-other for me. Seven years later I hitch-hiked up to Washington Pass from the Okanogan & thought I'd died & gone to heaven, but didn't actually climb in NCP until years later. It's a long story, to be revealed when my memoirs are published.

I checked with my dad. There is an inconvenient gap in the family catalog of NG issues. We started getting it in '67 but the early '68 issues are missing. My mother said these were probably lost or never sent while my parents were moving (I was not yet born).

However, my dad has every NG issue on CD-ROM. He said he'd try and find the issue in question. I told him to look for information relevant to the cover photo. We (I) know where the photo is taken from/to, but I'm not sure if it is the exact summit of Magic.

Blake-- Why do you say that regarding fewer visitors?

Because Cottonwood camp (the start of the brushbash/cimb to Trapper lake) is now a 13 mile hike from the end of the Stehekin Road. The trail to the Pelton Basin dropdown point to trapper lake is also a few more miles from the road due to washouts from Boston Creek.

Because Cottonwood camp (the start of the brushbash/cimb to Trapper lake) is now a 13 mile hike from the end of the Stehekin Road. The trail to the Pelton Basin dropdown point to trapper lake is also a few more miles from the road due to washouts from Boston Creek.

Trapper Lake is an easy 4 hours from Cascade Pass trailhead, though, with no real bushwacking and only a small river ford. Fine fishing in that lake. One of my first ever and still most memorable trips in NOCA was to Trapper Lake with Eric Bindseil, Geoff Radford, Toni et al. Good Times!!

Trapper Lake is an easy 4 hours from Cascade Pass trailhead, though, with no real bushwacking and only a small river ford. Fine fishing in that lake. One of my first ever and still most memorable trips in NOCA was to Trapper Lake with Eric Bindseil, Geoff Radford, Toni et al. Good Times!!

Now you have to walk just to get to the cascade pass TH though. Once you get to that ntoch to the left of Pelton Peak/Yawning Galcier (below small cirlce of snow), what's the route into Trapper like? 044-cascade-pass.jpg

You can see most of the route in this photo, you hike down the CassPass trail below Sahale Arm until it starts curving left as to go towards Horseshoe Basin. 'Schwack (short) through the timber to nice alpine medows and creek bottom below Pelton. Here ford creek. Head up large talus blocks towards small circle of snow in this pic to a small col. Some goat paths throughout. The descent down to Trapper Lake from this point is down a very steep alpine grassy hillside. We did it with full packs, so its not too bad. But it would be very dangerous when wet!

We camped at the head of the lake, where the S Glacier runoff feeds Trapper Lake. Awesome place to be. Awesome fishing. S Glacier is an awesome route. Everything about this area is superlative!